Thai Tital wave in Phuket

ITN news in the UK are reporting 10,000 + dead and rising, they showed extensive video footage of the carnage including a harrowing scene of children being torn from their parents arms and presumably swept to their deaths. A very sad day indeed, with far reaching consequences for many.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is not a fishing story ::

When I refer to the big one it was in 1989 -

I will never forget walking down Bush street and seeing a Tele plugged into a car lighter and everyone was watching the broken Bay Bridge with a car dangling off it-Then it was off to Vesuvios to drink with the North Beach Gang...

My grandma was in the big one of 1906-(I am 4th generatiion SF native) ::

I wonder how many of these tourist businesses had insurance given they are in a danger zone? Given that tourism is one of the biggest components of Phukets economy, I would hope that the Thaskin government would institute some form of emergency disaster relief so that the area can be revitalized quickly. The immediate impact of the event is enormous and think of all the ripple effects that will be felt considering the large amount of people who will not be able to earn an income over the ensuing weeks and even months.

Combine this event with the unrest in the South and you now hove a double blow to the Thai tourist business. I wonder if the other islands can run with the ball from Phuket? Seems like TAT had better start promoting other Thai destinations to foreigners.

Looking at the pics the damage seems more cosmetic rather than structural. Buildings are still standing and power and communication lines are still up and running. Within a month you can have the place cleaned up and opened for business.

I guess the real damage is the potential loss of tourist bookings as well as do the current merchants have the capital to get their businesses up and running as well as to sustain a downturn in business forthe current cycle.

Racha,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone in the Andaman. I can't imagine what you are going through right now. Stay safe.

Ten years ago today I was in the water on Ton Sai Bay beach with four OW students. I just hope the death toll being reported for Phi Phi is an exaggeration. But given the time off year it sadly may be true.

I hope Tom K., John H., Somchai at Sea Frog and all of my island friends were either not there or safe.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrived in Phuket and said the situation was "under control." He told CNN he planned to stay the night and direct rescue and relief efforts.

--------------------------

:rolleyes:

This guy is amazing, always finds a way to place himself as "in control" of the situation. Give him a camera and a mic and he does wonders. Let's see if he will pump some monetary releif into the area for the businesses to have a speedy recovery and keep people employed.

From the TV in NZ.

toll is 11,000 and rising.

Southern and South Western India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Coastal Southern Thailand etc.

Entire towns, Thai King's Grandson missing.

Thaksin said "Nothing like this has ever happened before".

Massive loss of life, TV footage seems to be concentrating on resorts and resort areas. Lots of shots of tourists forming impromptu rescue teams. damage is so wide spread, the normal rescue teams will be flat out and people are helping themselves. Shots of Locals and Tourists with make shift stretchers etc. Helicopters in evidence.

Good luck andtake care to all those there.

Cheers

Coss

watching the news allday and it gets worse by each minute.

Tourism in the area will be hit for Months as the Thai's try and sort out the mess.

but then again,Thaksin is on the ball and i'm sure he will sort it all out overnight.

i feel sorry for the locals and their shops,how many of them have insurance i wonder and i imagine many will be ruined.

although a terrible event,let's be thankful this did not happen 9 Hours earlier.

can you imagine the waves hitting Patong at Midnight on Christmas Night?.

imagine how many people would have been on the streets at that time........

Guest lazyphil

<<although a terrible event,let's be thankful this did not happen 9 Hours earlier.

can you imagine the waves hitting Patong at Midnight on Christmas Night?.

imagine how many people would have been on the streets at that time........ >>

Huh, I was in bed xmas 2000 by 1130 with a warm mug of Horlix and a Agatha Christie book :liar:

Archived