NPF Londoner Quiz 2005

Pom Michael

Well,

As expected, the only people who lost out in the end where you guys. You should have swallowed your pride and of course the people who run the show are really good guys so it would have worked out.

First, since no one owns the brand NPF1, and since we had 9 players for NPF2, we sent over a few to help the clueless Liverpool Jim who was just returning from a 3 month self imposed exile to of all places, Liverpool!

So, NPF1 was formed with Liverpool Jim, FrogPatrol, PomMichael and "I've really got to leave at 8:45 guys".

So, before the quiz even started we received long and deep apologies from the QM and the Londoner staff, both verbal and in the form of 500 baht vouchers for 6. Well, those sure did come in handy I have to say. We, the new NPF1, of course had to graciously accept the said vouchers.

That messy part of the business over, the quiz started and rules were clearly stated and clarified regarding the 6 player maximum rule. Now and forever, bodies (warm) are the determining point. The fact that they contribute or not is no longer taken in consideration. 6 people max, any more is a 5 point deduction.

The quiz was the 100 question type, and scores ranged per round from an average in the low thirties to the high thirties. The music questions again hurt NPF1.

Mr. "I've really got to leave at 8:45 guys" ending up having a good time and since he was British helped out on a number of questions, but really had to leave by about 9:15. So after that the 3 of us playing were no match against the rest of the teams.

NPF2 with a full complement of players, minus Suadum and Long Gun, had a lock on second place going into the final round. Only if they screwed up massively would they have lost a place on the podium.

But then the unexpected happened, and the leading team either completely fell apart on the last round or their scoring was suspect, but they lost a whopping 10 points to NPF2, who ended up winning by either a point or a half point, my memory escapes me now.

So, NPF2 takes a suprise win and NPF1 (the imposters) came in mid pack.

I believe Liverpool Jim has what is left of your vouchers available for pickup next week at the Bulls Head.

Cheers!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post, I'll add a few details.

Although NPF I was absent ("You go, girlfriend!") the presence of FrogPatrol at their table was unsettling, as there was the definite possibility that he knew too much for our own good. Alas, no inducement would persuade him to join our table.

PM's presence at the NPF I table was also worrisome: who better to know and take advantage of our weaknesses?

Anyway, NPF II (not a full complement: Goatscrot, Khun Kong, Kiwi Boy, A Poor Judge of Character, and Ultras67) romped to a lead in the first round and immediately started gloating prematurely. After all, with the real NPF I absent, Unocal not participating, the Piles mysteriously slumping, and a couple Lebowskis sporting fresh lobotomy scars what could go wrong?

We soon found out. A "new" team, Six of One (seemingly composed of survivors of defunct teams) paddled us mercilessly in rounds 2 and 3 as we whined bitterly about the possibility of scoring irregularities. As we entered the last round it appeared that first place would exceed both our reach and our grasp.

I began to wonder: what if I paid two attractive Thai women (a thought which has never previously crossed my mind, in any circumstances) to sidle up to our tormentors just in time for the final tabulation? Would a ten point deduction be in order? Then I looked at the disheveled no-hopers who were our opponents: no one would ever believe the girls weren't sabotage. We would have to win by luck, not guile.

And luck we had, putting up a decent score as Six of One did a Paula Radcliffe, keeling over with the finish line in sight. We were stunned, but victorious. Oh well, luck favors the lucky, as I always say.

Come back NPF I!

Still somewhat stunned, I remain,

A Poor Judge of Character

poorjudge said:

Although NPF I was absent ("You go, girlfriend!") the presence of FrogPatrol at their table was unsettling, as there was the definite possibility that he knew too much for our own good. Alas, no inducement would persuade him to join our table.

Ah, you're a good man, Poor Judge. Sending out kudos to a quiz guppy such as myself is most admirable. Congrats on the win. I must say the look on your face when the score came in was a kodak moment.

This Sunday night's festivities are iffy for me b/c it is the last game week in the PL, but if I could rotate in and out of one bar with a TV screen and another bar, well, w other types of viewing, the it may be doable. I'll call you to gather details.

froggo

No worries Froggo. The activities scheduled for this Sunday have been rescheduled for the 23rd, same bat time, same bat place.

Any interest in joining for the Bull's Head quiz on Wednesday? I hear that one of the prizes is a botten of wodka...

Cheers,

SD

Frog

Where are you watching the footee on Sunday? Looks like Gullivers for me as they tend to set up zones for each of the so you don't miss anything - I'll be there with an old mate who is a Saints fan and you might recall from Hare & Hounds days. Of course, as they also have the free internet access you can keep a 'live' eye on all your fantasy players.

SD - see you on Wednesday. SOmebody else can carry the prizes this week!

suadum said:

Any interest in joining for the Bull's Head quiz on Wednesday? I hear that one of the prizes is a botten of wodka...

SD

Yes, could be a go-er.

I think I have your number somewhere.

If not, I'll ring Poor Judge and see if you are all still on for WED.

froggo

Archived