NPF Londoner Quiz 2005

Pom Michael

suadum said:

Reminder: quiz tomorrow night! Do not forget (ya KK, this means you :D).

Londoner at 8pm or the pre-quiz meet at Lookie Lookie from 6:30 onward.

See you there.

Regards,

SD

As spoken earlier this week: 100% chance of KK. Sheep Boy, aka CatsupCum, will be joining also. His wife will be out of town and he doesn't relish sitting with the in-laws in Thonburi.

Lookie Lookie? ::

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Against all odds, it appears that I am to take up my position--usually prone--on the bench once again, this time as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Yes, Rehnquist's still alive, details, details, details.

Consequently, the next Londoner quiz will be my last for some time, and as I have no idea when I'll be posting again I thought it would be appropriate to tap out my valedictory address.

The first time I went to the Londoner to take part I was way early. The staff were friendly, but not too helpful and I was given the impression that I probably wouldn't be able to catch on with a team. I didn't want to waste valuable drinking and ogling time watching others preparing for a quiz, so I demurred.

My second attempt was somewhat more successful. The quizmaster checked to see if there was a team which would have me and when no one volunteered (the fools!) he gave me my own team. I was soon joined by a pleasant local fellow and his Thai wife, who provided companionship, if not many correct answers. We finished in the lower middle, despite the fact that I answered every kickball, cricket, or snooker question with either Gary Lineker, Shane Warne, or Stephen Hendry--including the question about the dog who found the FA Cup. Amazingly I actually got a couple of these correct.

As we played I cast shy glances toward the NPF tables. Dare one introduce one's self? Modesty prevented me.

BONUS: A free drink to the first person attending the next quiz who can identify my team in this quiz.

Fate would have to take a hand, and did. On my third attempt the quizmaster sought about for a team. NPF II needed a player, would that do? He had an odd expression on his face as he pointed me toward the table. As I sat some of the players were engaged in a somewhat sotto voce discussion of what I would later learn was a particularly active evening on the Square. No doubt they didn't want to embarass me.

We hit it off, though, and in five minutes we were laughing and talking as if we'd known each other for five minutes. It was a magical evening and, if I recall correctly, victory was ours. At the end, a teammate inquired whether I knew what NPF meant. "Yes", I said, "I've posted a bit." We traded nicknames and off we went, happily ever after.

I can unreservedly say that I've enjoyed the hell out of every quiz I've done with these guys; everyone contributes, everyone has fun. My teammates have been good friends and boon companions and have made my stay in Bangkok more enjoyable than I ever thought it would be.

What kind of team is NPF II? Allow me a short anecdote:

Quizmaster: Who led the Barons' revolt against King John?

3 Members of NPF II (simultaneously): Baron Bonk.

Thanks, guys. I'll be back, and always on an appropriate Tuesday.

Going but not forgetting, I remain,

A Poor Judge of Character

Poor Judge,

I don't remember the team name, but do a get a prize for knowing the date? June 8th, 2004.

Hell has frozen over, and pigs do fly.

NPF2 (The Clueless Wonders) won 1st place at the June Showbiz Quiz. Miracles do happen it seems.

The team welcomes on board the new Quiz Guru - A Poor Judge of Character! Good show there mate!

Archived