NPF Londoner Quiz 2005

Pom Michael

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,good evening and welcome,

firstly may i say thank you to froggie, et al, who stopped me from looking a complete pillock at the quiz last Tuesday. i had just arrived back from blighty,(England to you collonials) when i was decended upon by Rodney Bain and David Williamson, who proceeded to tell me their version of what transpired at the last quiz and graciously returned to me six vouchers of 500baht value,none of which is mine i hasten to add. these will be returned to said participants at the next quiz. all i can say in defence of my team-mates is that many times teams have played with an extra person at their table,if this has been a Thai girlfriend it was never a problem.umbrage was taken,I presume,as there seems to be a rule here that is not always followed. I, for one, vote for the six only rule with NO exceptions but don't expect everyone to agree with me. Let's not get away from what we should focus on,the night out, we enjoy the quiz because we see friends we don't see for a month at a time, we get away from the girlfriend for a few hours,we talk in sentences instead of mono-dialogue about important things like football,girlie-bars, etc. I hope to see long-gun and the usual suspects at the bulls head where he will berate me with tales from the stadium of light no doubt.

We remember well the days of myself,Phil Williams,Bangkok George, long-gun, big Peter,Mike the menu,Ian,new Phetbury Pete et al, down to cowboy after the quiz had finished, oh happy days, although most are too busy to come to the quizzes nowadays the memories linger on,(or should that be the mammaries linger on).anyway, hope to see you soon, Liverpool Jim

And in the spookiest of coincidences, who should be sitting at the table between the two NPFs, but the aforementioned Ian, not seen there for 4 years or so, and failing to recognise either Jim or myself.

The quiz itself made the Londoner debacle look like superb organisation. With teams here limited to 4, NPF1 (started with 7 but were soon outnumbered by most of the other tables). Fair's fair, there were only 4 'players' and they won by a few lengths, going away. We finished strongly to pinch 2nd and some lovely towels, but were badly hit by the PA breaking down and robbing us of the whole 'Beat the Intro' round, which, modestly, is one of our strengths. With so many people in there and all the technical problems, the quizmaster started to resemle Basil Fawlty but it was still a fun, if chaotic, start to the evening.

Speak for yourself there young man.

Next time I'll show up at 9 pm - which is about when this quiz started. And finishing at 11:15 is a bit late for a old man like myself.

The clueless wonders did come in second, and I even donated my beer towel to the Luk Lucky Charm. Hopefully my karma increases for the next Londoner Quiz on the 31st of May.

Cheers!

And now for the rest of the story.

Long Gun is generous to a fault, as always. Actually the aptly named "Cheating Bastards" filled half the room with a swirling vortex of players, "girlfriends", and shady-looking technical advisors, one of whom dropped by our table to tell us not to complain "if we knew what was good for us".

Thus we had to look on in horror as one of the technical advisors brutally attacked the QM's sound machine with a cricket bat, thereby crippling our chances. Our only refuge was in drink.

Quite frankly, I don't remember the towels. Long Gun, do you have any idea what I did with mine?

Still somewhat confused, I remain,

A Poor Judge of Character

Archived