any news on Bernard Trink

keith doug

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw him and spoke with him a while Loy Krathong night on Soi 23 near Soi Cowboy.

He is slowing down as we all are. Still mentally sharp.

The Post could no longer deal with a column on nightlife. Was very, very sorry to see his column stopped.

The subscription rate on the site has not been what he thought it would have been. That is all he is living on now so I, for one, will subscribe to it once I am back in the US.

It was great to see him as he really has not been out as much since the Post stopped.

Feh. His column the past few years was utter crap. Burma shave ads, wrong dates/times/places/players, urban legends, crappy jokes, etc. I dunno if it was him or the constraints placed upon him by the Post. But it was a mercy killing pure and simple. A waste of good trees.

His stuff 7+ years ago was quite good. And Phil MacDonald's Farang Affairscolumn in The Nation is a great piece of work!

Cheers,

SD

Hi BuBi,

sorry but SD is correct. More than 95 % of Trinks articles the last years were just crap. Still sometimes there were a few articles still showing the old master.

The scandal was that Bangkok Post kicked him out without a pension and he had to use internet for make a living, so far away from his type-writer.

elef

Yes, most of what he wrote in the last year was worth little, but that didn't stop me and many others I know (probably many reading this message) from their weekly Friday ritual of getting the Post and opening directly to his column.

I wish it was still there...even if only 10% was worth reading. That's exactly 10% better than the 0% we get now. (but I'm no math major)

If only the Nation would post movie times, I'd subscribe in a New York Minute. They seem to be a lot less intimidated by the gov't than the Post is.

Archived