Underground accident

didierhardy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Two trains have collided at a subway system in central Bangkok, injuring dozens of passengers, police and media reports said.

TV footage Monday showed some of the victims bleeding as rescue workers carried them up the stairs of the Cultural Center station to ambulances during the morning rush hour.

Other dazed and crying victims walked up the stairs with help.

TV and radio reports said that as many as 100 people were injured in the accident, which occurred when a train preparing to leave the station was rammed by another train from behind.

But police had no injury total of their own.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com

[uRGENT!!!] 60 Injured in Bangkok Subway Crash

More than 60 subway passengers were injured this morning when a train backed into another at the Thailand Cultural Centre station.

The accident occurred at about 9.30 am, said Prapat Jong-sa-nguan, managing director of Metropolitan Rapid Transit Authority.

Intitial reports suggested a computer failure.TV Channel 9, whose headquarters are located close by, air pictures of the injured carried away at 10.15 am. All traffics in the area have been closed off, and reporters were not permitted to go down the subway.

Rescue workers said the passengers were still being rescued and part of the train has been cut through to access them.

++++++++++++++

Spooky! My wife told me two days ago that I should not ride the Skytrain or Underground because she had had a bad feeling that something was going to happen. She has done this before...

Cheers,

SD

EDIT:

UPDATE: Subway train crashed, over 100 injured

Published on Jan 17 , 2005

Over 100 people were injured in rush-hour crash when an empty underground train collided with another crowded train parked at Thai Cultural Centre station in Bangkok at 9:20 a.m. this Monday morning,

Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit said.

About 700 passengers were on board the crowded train, Suriya said.

"The service is temporary suspended until the cause can be determined. We do not yet know how an empty train could have entered the track in service," Suriya said.

"We regret this accident and will move the injured people out as soon as possible. The Bangkok Metro Co will be responsible for all expenses, Suriya added.

"Initially, there was no death, however, many of the injured were carried out on stretchers, some with dislocated shoulders,"said Police Lieutenant Colonel Somnuk Pothanapan.

Another subway official said the train driver and some passengers received serious injuries in the accident which is partly due to the breakdown of the computerised safety system.

Accoring to a rescue worker, over a dozen passengers were taken to hospital while another 20-30 people sustained minor injuries.

http://www.2bangkok.com/

50 INJURED IN SUBWAY CRASH - 9:30am, December 17, 2005

Posted at 10:43am - Nation News Radio is reporting two subway cars crashed at Thai Cultural Center Station at 9.30 a.m. 50 were injured. Officers need help to carry the passengers who were injured. One car was to go to Hualumpong and one to Bangsue. But nobody knew why the Hualumpong direction train started going backwards and crashed into the train going to Bangsue. (more details to come)

Ron Morris (2Bangkok.com editor) reports: I was in Suthisarn Station at 9:25am. and boarded a car towards Hualamphong. It seemed the car had been sitting there for awhile. At 9:37am they came into the station will bullhorns and told everyone to leave.

Cheers,

SD

Yeah - it was the train I was supposed to get too!

However I was at a stop after the accident luckily for me.

Waiting at Fortune Tower (Rama9) and I noticed the crowd swelling and no train, then they started making announcements, non in English other than "There is a delay"

So I grabbed the bloke I was with and caught a taxi back to the hotel.

Next thing a whole lot of ambulances fly past us upstairs, I figured something bad had hapopened.

DOG

Trains crash in Bangkok's new subway, 100 injured

2 hours, 32 minutes ago Asia - AFP

BANGKOK (AFP) - Two trains on Bangkok's five-month-old subway system crashed during the morning rush hour, injuring around 100 people and forcing authorities to suspend services, officials and witnesses said.

"The accident happened around 9:30 am (0230 GMT) when the train headed to Hua Lam Pong left Thailand's cultural center station was hit from behind by another train that was empty," police Major General Dusitsan Teraphat, Bangkok's deputy police commissioner, told Thai television.

"Initial reports said almost 100 people were injured. Police and authorities rescued all passengers from the train," Dusitsan said.

The head of Bangkok's subway system, Prapat Chongsanguan, told Thai television that the empty train had just left a maintenance station where it received repairs when it slammed into the crowded rush-hour train carrying some 700 people.

He said officials were investigating the cause of the accident.

Prapat told reporters at the scene that the driver of the empty train had been hospitalized with serious injuries.

Thanyashan Srithongkam, a 38-year-old lawyer, told AFP he was waiting on the platform with the crash happened.

The passenger train had just closed its doors and was still stopped at the platform, he said, adding that the empty train seemed to be going in reverse when they collided.

"I was on the platform, five meters (yards) away, waiting for the train when the empty train backed into the parked one.

"Passengers inside were trying to come out but there was no emergency exit. Only three people were on the platform, me and two security guards. The guard had to find keys to open the door for the passengers, which took about 10 minutes.

::

"I can't imagine what would have happened if a fire had broken out and people were trapped inside. Luckily, there was no fire. It was 20 minutes after the accident before authorities told the passengers what they should do."

::

Should we be that surprised.?

JP

Archived