Valentine Gift for a Thai Gal

MisterBlonde

MisterBlonde said:

Do you have an explanation of the 1 baht?I bought perfume for a girl 6 months ago and she gave me 1 baht ...is this usual?

I think that you are only supposed to buy perfume as a gift for your wife. I know wifey does not give me 1 baht when I do and certainly does not tell me not to buy it for her. But she was not too clear on the reason for the custom either.

But I do understand the theory that the 1 baht is to "stop it" from being a gift LOL!

This sounds like a question for Flashermac as he is the repository for the reasoning behind all those odd customs...

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Just got finished talking with gf. She says she has heard shoes are bad luck, Also handkercheif, and shirt/blouse. Handkercheif means you will spend many hours crying together, and shirt means some other bad luck will fall upon you??? I forget exactly what.

Interesting that she has never heard about the perfume thing, though. She's from central Thailand, and was totally clueless about anything having to to with that. Maybe an Issarn thing??? :dunno:

HT

HIGH THAIED said:Interesting that she has never heard about the perfume thing, though. She's from central Thailand, and was totally clueless about anything having to to with that. Maybe an Issarn thing???
I think it is more a generational thing cuz my family is also from Bangkok for many generations. Wife did not really know, but the older ladies (55+) did.

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

I?ll take my mrs to a great sea food restaurant (delivered daily from some Scottish loch) in Cambridge (near Kings Parade in case anyone fancies it), get some candles, roses on the tables, bottle of fine wine and all that stuff.

Hi Suadum,

Could be just that. You know what gf's first question was to the perfume thing? "Are you 1,000 years old?" :D

Maybe just an old relic of a superstition, that has not been passed down to any great degree. :dunno:

HT

OK, I asked the missus what the hell this perfume things is all about. She said if man buys for lady or vice versa, the sweet smell brings butterflies. Then she mentioned three of her friends that had failed relationships because of this :) She said "true ching ching".

My missus is very superstitious and I'm sure this isn't something that's shared by all Thai ladies. But, for you guys that don't know your tilak well, better be safe than sorry.

Guest lazyphil

<<Yes, handkerchief is one I heard as well.<<

who the hell would by their mrs a load of snot rags for valentines ::...suicidel people perhaps!

Direct quote from gf:

>>>>>i hear shoes, handkerchief, shirt bad luck.

>>>>>can't buy and give gf/bf.

>>>>>If i buy shirt to u then we will finsihed.

>>>>>If buy handkerchief then we will have only bad luck , crying. Misunderstand. Have only sad story.

>>>>>Shoes i'm not sure but still bad luck.

>>>>>I'm not know about perfume. I never hear before.

----------------------------------------------------

Not related, but a "true, jing jing" ghost story going around about tsunami. For newbie's, Pii = Thai ghost :

>>>>happen in Pangnga after Tsunami

(HT) is true? ;)

yes

have one thai guy he is driver.

he drive to take his boss to house there.

i think drive van.

and when take boss get home then he want to drive back to his own house.

but he can feel why van very heavy while he was driving

and he look at mirror and see many many many farangs sit in car behind him.

and he very scared why can have many people like that.

and he think Pii for sure.

he drive and not know what to do then he shout very loud tell many farang " not go airport", and he will only go back to home.

say english.

then van not heavy and he close eyes and he look at mirror again.

and look behind.

not have any farangs at all.

na glua maaaaak>>>

She then gets mad at me for laughing off my chair. "HT....why you laugh? Is true! Have many pii in Thailand. I scared many times Pii"

Maybe the best Valentines Day gift for a Thai girl would be an exorsist??? :grinyes:

HT

Archived