Tia Maria, Bad Mexican...

Old Hippie

IMHO, Bourbon Street's "Mexican" is maybe fair, Silver Dollar's is a bit better, but neither can be called Mexican any more than my Mom's attempt at nachos from a Betty Crocker cookbook could be called Mexican.

Sorry, disagree on Lone Staar food. The lunch special is great, so are several things on the menu, like chicken fried steak (Bourbon St = better beef, LS = better gravy), brekky items. Do not do Mexican items at a restaraunt in BKK anymore, so I cannot comment on that.

But to each his own.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khun, I have to agree with Bourbon street, the six chip nachos is a joke and I sent it back!

Oddly enough got the same eaxactly from the irish pub on Silom,

Never go there again.

To give Bourbon credit though, the ownerrs wife did appologise and I got another dish instead!

In Cambo though i got a REAL Nachos, while with Louhuie of the Flamengo Restaurant

DOG

I hope this doesn't sound too crass, but I don't listen to anyones critique/recommendation of mexican food unless they are from CA, AZ or TX (or mexico of course), or lived there a long time.

I've had a few British friends recommend mexican in LOS, all were wrong. Like Suadum, I don't even attempt mexican anywhere in Thainald unless recommended by a very reliable source. I don't understand why it's so difficult to make good mexican in Asia?

Unfortunately, mexican food is near the top of my list. When I go back to CA for a visit, I eat In-n-out burgers and mexican every day. ::

jxxxl said:Unfortunately, mexican food is near the top of my list. When I go back to CA for a visit, I eat In-n-out burgers and mexican every day. ::
In-N-Out burgers rock the planet! None better in a fast food type place!!!!!!

And I have been enjoying some fine Mexican here on my hols in Vegas. El Sombrero on Main downtown rocks if you ever get to Vegas (been there 55 years and looks it but damn is it tasty). And oddly wife & daughters like the Pink Taco at the Hard Rock Hotel (it IS pretty good, but "the hat" is better). Oooo, and Chuy's on Buffalo is awesome (even tho' it is a small chain), as is Baja Fresh for a larger one.

Hungry yet???? 5555555 :neener: :neener:

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:In-N-Out burgers rock the planet! None better in a fast food type place!!!!!!

Indeed they do. Some like the Double Double or even a 4X4, but give me their standard cheese burger with grilled onion every time. The CB is the perfect blend of ingredients in the perfect portions. Throw in the fries and a bucket of Diet Coke... fuck, I gotta stop :banghead:

For mexican, some classics in the southland are Carillos, Sierras, Somis Market and of course El Cholo. Baja fresh is excellent for a chain and there a several others just like it now. Greater LA is full of superb mexican food:up:.

Getting back to INO, I have done some extensive research and am now able to reproduce their cheese burger perfectly. Can't do the fries unfortunately. If you're ever in CM and need a burger fix, look me up :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been impressed with In & Out burger .. to me, they are small and not that great. I prefer Burger King whopper myself. Also Fuddrucker does great burgers but costly.

I go to I & O for their fries ... one the best fries in the world ... fresh. Before I & O, I used to like only steak fries.

Regarding Mexican, Blue Parrots in Pattaya does pretty good Enchiladas with tasty salsa. I think their burritos were not as good.

One of the benefits of returning to USA is that I can walk down to the mission district in San Francisco for a "real" carne-asada burrito with black beans - man sized.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have to agree that In n Out Burger kicks ass. Tommy Burger in LA is pretty awesome too. Here in the midwest, there is a burger joing called Culvers that atleast for me almost rivals In n Out burger. Now if I could have a beer Chang and double double and a thai girl at the same time, I think I'd die. There wouldn't be anything worth living for after that.

Z

Tijuana has pretty good vertical tacos too. 555

Archived