Tia Maria, Bad Mexican...

Old Hippie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
limbo said:Whenever you come down to Samui, there's a nice, small place called Jojo's, has great burritos. Small menu but good!
Limbo, I think that this is the place that my old "mia noi", Miss Timbers from Surat Thani, worked at before she came to Bangkok (if it has been there a few years that is). She could cook pretty damn fine Mexican grub, so if that is it, I gotta believe that it is OK.

Gummi: I should have said "none good in Bangkok", not "LoS", cuz I have never eaten Mexican in LoS outside of Bangkok.

Cheers,

SD

• 1 month later...

I can't say I've eaten there. As some of the others said about the Tequila Reef in Pattaya, isn't that great either. It wasn't bad. My favorite place to get Mexican food is the Blue Parrot. It tastes pretty good. But not really comparable to Taco Bell or Taco Johns. So I'd say it's fast food quality at best. As Suadum said about making your own is the way to go.

Z

-

Two good places for Mexican ... and one bad:

Bourbon Street has several Mexican items on the daily menu and a large and delicious Mexican buffet every Tuesday night. Buffet has everything you would expect - tacos (both soft and crispy), enchiladas (beef and chicken), fajitas, etc., etc. Everything fresh and tasty, but - surprisingly for Bourbon Street - not very spicy.

On Bourbon Street's regular, daily, menu (not the buffet), the Mexican items can seem skimpy. To someone who is used to seeing a platter piled to over-flowing with nacho chips and cheese, it was a surprise to be served an order of nachos consisting of six (!) chips arranged neatly on a plate. Flavor was delicious - just not much for the money on that item. Tuesday's buffet is a better deal by far.

Also very good Mexican food, and good value at Silver Dollar. The taco platter includes refried beans and rice and - sometimes - guacamole. The burittos are generous. For Mexican food, Silver Dollar is my first choice, except on Tuesday nights, when the Bourbon Street buffet is on. Silver Dollar is also in Washington Square, tucked in the Northeast corner, near front entrance to Mambo Cabaret.

If you want something more after your Mexican dinner, the waitresses at Silver Dollar are available for take-away. Those at Bourbon Street are not.

Now the negative review: I've tried and tried, but never had a good meal - Mexican or otherwise - at Texas Lone Starr. I do NOT recommend their tacos. Or their, so-called, Philly steak sandwich. Or their hamburger, which lacks any taste at all. Lone Starr has Mexican items on the menu, but I'd say avoid the entire menu there.

I think I got Banned in Silver Dollar a few years back, not sure, quite drunk at the time...

Lone Staar is one of my favorite places in BKK, love the place! Have to agree, the farang food is off! Thai food o.k. but a bit pricy concidering...also, the Saturday "free" dinner plate is usually good. Buy a beer or cocktail, eat free! Or as George puts it "...alcohol drinkers eat free..." :)

Old Hippie said:

I think I got Banned in Silver Dollar a few years back, not sure, quite drunk at the time...

they are very forgiving there and exposure to heavily drunken american dudes is daily business there :neener:

but i would keep the feeding there strictly in liquid form! just even looking at the menu would spoil my good mood!

Archived