Got a runner at Pretty lady

JaiGuruDev said:

So when it happens next time, and it will indeed happen to you again as sure as the sun shines, don?t get worked up over it.

IMO, all this negotiating up front is a sure sign of a newbie.

If a girl comes on to me and starts talking about money, <snipped> I take it as a sign that she doesn?t respect me and I?ll send her away.

Phuck ! You've plagerised one of the chapters of my new book: "Punting In Thailand for Dummies" :)

Hugh (Tin Member)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jaigurudev whatever! I have been a punter since 1993 all that you wrote I already know, and it seems you insist to continue to have strong and belittling words for me, do what you do and I'll do what I do, have a good life, thanks for good and bad advice. End of my comments on this particular post.

Jai Guru Dev said

IMO, all this negotiating up front is a sure sign of a newbie, and if you find the right girl, she will try to take advantage of it. If a girl comes on to me and starts talking about money, I take it as a sign that she doesn?t respect me and I?ll send her away.

Really.

What makes you the expert on all things Thai?

I have probably been to Thailand 80 + over the last 25 years and I often negotiate the terms up front. It all depends on the situation. There are no hard and fast rules. That is where many people go wrong. One has to judge each situation on its merits and then make the appropriate decision. Experience can help in making the right decision but no matter how long or how experienced you are there are times when you will come unstuck.

At the end of the day we are dealing with people and people don't always stick to formulas. People and relationships can be unpredictable and dynamic. Sensitivity to other people is probably your greatest asset in interpersonal relationships.

Zorro...u're right about this. Negotiating isn't only done by newbies. I've said before, I don't "negotiate" ST/LT. If the gal doesn't want to go LT, mai pen lai. That said, I don't talk price in the bar or taxi or the room. If a gal wants to talk price, it's adios amiga. Also, the old "chemistry" criteria. If the gal seems to be quite satisfied with sitting with me for 10 or 15 minutes (before I buy her a drink) and not hurry off to another table, it's a sign that she's likely to not want to jump out of bed and hurry to another one later that night. (I also always avoid those girls who gulp their drinks.)

Different techniques all over the board, but, for me, mine (and how they are applied) are time-tested (First in the LOS in 1970 and 40+ trips in the last 20 years.)

Hugh (Tin Member)

khunsanuk said:

JaiGuruDev, have to agree with darklover here. While you give some good advice in your post, it most certainly could have done without the condescending tone.

I think most of the post was cool (and helpful for newbies out there) but if you're talking about the last two paragraphs, I included the quote in my post for a reason; *I* found it condescending. Especially so, considering the subject matter.

Wanna piss on an American girl? Be my guest? Shit on a French girl? Have fun? Put your boot up the ass of a Middle Eastern woman? More power to you? But for whatever reason, talk of throwing TG?s against a wall gets my goat. What can I say? It's a weakness of mine...

?A punter since 1993? and the best advice/suggestion/story he could come up with is telling the mamasan that ?she is lucky [he] did not throw her against the damn wall or something like most other farangs might do?? (Emphasis mine.)

It would seem he proved my point!

Zorro said:

What makes you the expert on all things Thai?

I don?t think I said that. I believe that passage included words like ?IMO? and ?if you find the right girl.?

I guess I feel that way because I?ve seen it. I believe I?ve introduced more than my fair share of newbies to the kingdom, and I see where they?ve had problems. Spend an evening in the bars with Antman (the perma-newbie), and even the most seasoned traveler will get an eyeful.

Additionally, if you read the entire post you may remember that I might do things I don?t advise newbies to do; albeit rarely. This is because different situations may indeed call for different tactics. And once a punter has the requisite 25 visits under his belt that makes him an expert, he?s free to break the rules. Hey, it worked for Picasso and Bach?

But IMO, letting a newbie know the score (prices and such), and instructing him not to negotiate gets him started on the right track.

I made the mistake once of asking a BG to stay, when she clearly wanted to go home.

It was a big mistake. Better if I had done as Josh suggested, and just let her go. Then I would've had much more time to find some more fun in beer or women that night.

When on vacation, 1500-2000 Baht lost is nothing compared to your life and time.

They do tend to stay when they are having fun. After my first trip, I learned that well. Nobody into having fun usually wants to go straight back to the hotel to bonk. That is the type to avoid. Go for the ones that are more into clubbing and going out, then when the time comes to go to the hotel, they are more likely to have fun and stay.

Just a thought. I could be wrong. I was younger back then, now I'm just a future turtle in disguise! :)

ABC

Hi,

"I think most of the post was cool"

Yes, most of it was fine, but not all.

"?she is lucky [he] did not throw her against the damn wall or something like most other farangs might do??"

I guess it is a matter of reading. I did not read it as him planning to throw her against the wall, but rather stating that the girl does run the risk of physical pain in such a situation if she were to encounter an abusive asshole.

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

I guess it is a matter of reading.

If my daughter had gone out on a date and misbehaved (Lord knows she?s not perfect), and her suitor brought her back to me saying, ?She?s lucky I didn?t throw her against the damn wall like most other guys might do.? I can pretty much guaranty you that the fellow would be in for a memorable evening.

That's the way *I* read it.

Archived