New Pope elected

Just in case anyone gets their news on Papal affairs solely from here:-

German cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was elected by Roman Catholic cardinals on Tuesday to succeed John Paul II.

He will take the name Pope Benedict.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad it's not an italian, apparently the guy is very pointilous about the old moral issues that gave a black eye to JP2.

that was pretty fast.

An indication that the catholic church wanted an upkeeper of the faith, more than a reformer. or that there is still cleaning to be done inside the House, following the last pedophily scandals in US (probably some place else too, less mediatized).

Other than that, I've never met him! ::

I think the most less happy people about the election are many Germans catholics, even this is the first German pope since 500 years.

Ratzinger is extremely conservative and the German clerics had a lot of fights with on issues like abortion e.g. He is also said to have strong ties to Opus Dei the powerful and influential and often secretly acting hardcore conservative group.

:(

Thanks god he is 78 and will not rule that long and we only can hope that next pope is not an conservative European.

<<the white-haired Ratzinger called himself "a simple, humble worker.">>

I don't trust anyone who calls himself humble!

<<a result of Ratzinger's moving homily at Pope John Paul II's funeral>>

The turd was buzy politicking, what a prick

<<Hiels Hendrich, 40, of Hamburg, Germany, jumped up and down at the prospect of a new pope ? but then gave only three halfhearted claps when he learned who it was. "I am not happy about this at all," he said. "Ratzinger will put the brakes on all the progressive movements in the church that I support.">>

Yep

<<he has pushed for Europe to rediscover its Christian roots while suggesting that Turkey's bid for membership in the European Union may be incompatible with European culture.>>

FACIST - what a bastard

Still - I wish I had seen this bit!

<<At the sound of the bells, nuns pulled up their long skirts and joined others jogging toward St. Peter's Square to watch the new pope emerge.>>

DOG

PS - BB - Yes - mentions it was compulsory, then joined at 18 a AA squad.

Archived