New Pope elected

samak said:
Nervous_Dog said:

Hopefully the next one will be more progressive rom South America.

Cardinals from South America and Africa are NOT more progressive; probably the opposite is true!

it has to be considered, that the Roman Catholic Church needs a pope that has to serve for more than one billion Catholics living in very different social environments and not just for the progressive "elite" of the western world which is a small minority of the church.

it has also to be considered that it is probably impossible to give unique advises on morality for over a billion people from totally different environments.

people from this board would probably expect a Pope who will preach: "you shall fuck your neighbor as yourself - but use Bodyguard Condome!" but this would probably confuse hundred millions of members of the Catholic Church!

You speak in my mind. :bow:

In young years this new Pope was also progessive, then he has changed.

This Pope has written more as 40 books, he study Theology in young years and can speak about 10 languages. I'm shure, that this choice is not so bad in todays mad and dangerous world.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure Sharron and other Jewish leaders wont be knocking at his door for meetings.

Some people may it is childish to mention that he was in the Hitler youth and a soldier in the German Army but with all 1.1 Billion Catholics in the world I think they could have found someone with a not so checkered past.

A few years back I remember reading that 85% of American Catholics were at odds with Pope John Paul II's conservative views on contraception, abortion and celibacy.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, weren't most of the Apostles married? Where in the Bible does it ever mention that Jesus demanded that they leave their wives and families in order to follow Him?

The viability of the Catholic Church would be bolstered if priests were allowed to marry. Deacons can marry, why not priests.

Years ago when I and my former wife were starting to have marital problems, many suggested that we go talk to a priest. To that I said 'bullshit!' ... who wants to discuss their marriage with some man who has never been married?

Not sure if my memory is right on this; but, Greek Orthodox (and Russian?) Catholics are allowed to be married.

And, if a man is married and his wife dies, I believe he can enter the priesthood if he so aspires!

I believe the Cardinals blundered greatly. It was time, for the sake of the Church and it's followers, to elect a more progressive Pope.

Trying to remember things I read long ago, but it seems that several churches affiliated with the RC do allow priests to marry. One is a Romanian Catholic branch and I think the other is the Maronite (mostly in Lebanon). A newly ordained priest has so many years in which he may marry, if he chooses too. But married clergymen will remain parish priests. They cannot rise in the hierarchy -- which seems a decent enough compromise.

p.s. There is nothing biblical that says the clergy has to be celibate. St Peter, considered the first pope, is known to have been married and had several daughters. Celibacy was a decision made several centuries into the Christian church's history. One big difference betwen Protestants and Catholics is that perhaps close to 50% of Catholic beliefs are not biblical. They come from the thoughts and writings of some early "church father". Protestants go strictly by the Bible, though they argue over what various passages mean.

Archived