Thai Silk

Donut

Hi all. My wife has just discovered the wealth of information found on this board and would like to know if any of you guys have some recommendations regarding tailors and real Thai silk, especially at the lower Suk. area?

Thx from Ms. Donut

A lot of the 'Thai Silk' in the shops is not actually silk, it's man made so be carefull when you are buying. I would advise you to take a cigarette lighter with you and pull a few loose threads from the bolt of silk you are considering buying and hold them in the flame of the lighter, real silk will smell like singed hair, man made 'silk' has an accrid smell

::

Donut,

I wonder what other kind of things your wife might be interested to know about since she seems to read the board .

Thai silk , and that is just my personal opinion , is of good quality if used for decorating purposes other than women. The material is usually stiff and strong , making it a suitable material for pillows, wall covering etc. On a woman it usually makes the lady look like dressed by a wooden construction due to lack of flexibility. I have been very often watching Thai ladies with complicated hair-style and dressed in silk attending dinner parties. No good.

Real silk comes from India and Italy ; at Don Muang Terminal 1 is an Hermes shop , touch the ties and you know what I mean.

BuBi , smooth as silk

Real silk comes from India and Italy ; at Don Muang Terminal 1 is an Hermes shop , touch the ties and you know what I mean.

I think not! Silk was first produced in China in 3000 BC it was first seen in Rome in 1 AD. It was not until 400 AD that a Chinese princess smugelled silkworm eggs out of China and silk production was no longer exclusive to China. Italy started to produce silk 700 years later (1100 AD) Thai silk can be traced back to 1292 AD when the King established relations with China and employed Chinese artisans to assist with silk production. Silk thread production in Thailand is thought to have taken place considerably earlier than this. Hermes by the way is a French company.

From what I've given to understand the Thai silk you may be used to seeing will give you the impression that it's stiffer than normal.

Silk from the outside of the cocoon is thus and that's what you'll most likely see on the street. Stuff on the inside is supposed to be much softer and what is found in the higher end shops. Mai noi or yod mai silk is something I don't think you'll find everywhere.

Additionally, the way thais treat, dye and weave the cloth tend to give the impression of thick coarse silk.

I'm slowly learning that Thailand does produce a variety of silks.

<<burp>>

pe7e,

when I say real silk comes from Italy or India , I just want to say where the real good quality silk comes from and not where it was initially developed. Further I did not want to say that Hermes is an Indian company , I only do not know another place in Bangkok where first class silk is on sale other than in their airport shop. The second "e" in Hermes needs an accent but no idea how to do that.

BuBi

Hi there, first of all my wife does not read all of the content here (and I am dea sure she does not know about all og what is written here) She is Thai and has a good knowledge of cloth quality. We rarely have time for shopping why the airport hint is good. I think that what she needs is the "party dress" mentioned above somewhere.

Thanks for the input and history of silk lesson.

D (wife says hello and thanx)

Donut said:

Hi all. My wife has just discovered the wealth of information found on this board and would like to know if any of you guys have some recommendations regarding tailors and real Thai silk, especially at the lower Suk. area?

Ms Donut, sorry for all the pissing about silk quality and failure to answer your question. Shame on you guys, if you do not know, just say so.

Anyway, try Queen Thai Silk in the same building that has Bush Gardens bar, on Sukhumvit near soi 11, I believe. Custom made ladies clothes, decent quality. All of my friends have been satisified with her work.

Cheers,

SD

Archived