Ants in my coffee!

New Petchburi Pete

My wife bought a container for sugar that she said no ant could ever penetrate. Wrong! There's some tiny ant that made it's way in overnight in serious numbers; and, these little felllas bite!

Throw the sugar away? Hell no! I stuck the sugar container with ants in the fridge. I must admit I enjoyed opening the fridge every 15 minutes or so and watching the little bastards slow down.

Next morning I poured myself a cup of instant java & reached for the sugar in the fridge. Initially, there was some concern that the ants weren't dead, but merely 'suspended' in the cold. Would the hot coffee bring them back to life? No, it did not. Upon stirring they floated to the top, and displayed no evidence of motion. I thought about skimming them off; but, then realised I'd be losing protein, so I drank it, and poured myself a second cup. Mind you, there is no difference in taste.

Perhaps I might start a business and sell sugar with ants in it for the value of the protein. I could use a partner, someone with a serious interest in a capital venture ... just let me know your sentiments on this.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, that is another one of those "you've lived in Thailand too long when..." entries. When you still eat food after bugs have landed in it, you have lived in Thailand too long. And the corollary is: You do not think twice about eating in a restaraunt with visable cockroaches.

Cheers,

SD

Same thing happened with my damn cereal!!!

For four months I kept my cerial in "tupperware" like containers on my counter.

Then one day I decided to get serious with the ants. Bought a trash can they have a tough time to get into. Didn't let trash sit till the end of the night to wash.

A few days later, poured my cereal. Added the milk. Wallaa, ant waders!!!

Now I get visitors asking me why I refrigerate my cereal!!!

<<burp>>

despite i have pest control in my apartment and live on a upper floor i have still a lot of those insects. they have gone in my cereals and even in my cigars. i store now the cigars in the freezer and only have a handful in my humidor.

i also recently fired the maid as she did not remove the trash daily

Add to the target list:

Quaker Oats - Left the lid on the metal container slightly unsealed. Result: ANT FARM

Pringles - Requires a Saran Wrap barrier between the cannister style container and the lid, otherwise, ANT FARM.

Alpen Cereal - Never mind the fact that the box is shrink wrapped for your protection. Get the contents into a sealable container, otherwise, ANT FARM.

-redwood

I have heard lots of food ( cerial and grains, pasta) have eggs or larva in them, so best to freeze them after purchasing to kill the critters

( over nite should do it)

Archived