Dutch pancakes

khunsanuk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Does anyone know where to buy (fresh) stroop wafles (like 2 small flat cookies with thick syrup in between) or where to have them made fresh?"

Hahahahaha, another addict :)

My wife bought 10 packages of them to take home during our last trip. None are left now 2-3 weeks later.

"There is obviously not much different between pancakes."

Yeah, I think the basic recipe is pretty much the same in many places. It is what is put on them that makes all the difference as far as I am concerned.

Sanuk!

"Does anyone know where to buy (fresh) stroop wafles (like 2 small flat cookies with thick syrup in between) or where to have them made fresh?"

Hahahahaha, another addict

My wife bought 10 packages of them to take home during our last trip. None are left now 2-3 weeks later.

Hey Khun Sanuk,

Oh yes! I love those, too. I bought about 6 packages last New Year's when I was in Holland, also a lot of the black brood.

I got to the airport and decided that was not enough, so stuffed another 4 packages of stroop wafles into my carry on... Finished it all in a few weeks. 4 tins of ginger cookies, too!!!

Does Villa carry this stuff? I will look next time I get there...

thanks!

Peace!

limbo said:

Enter the Old Dutch from Soi 25. That's what I did when I went there with my missus. No need to parade through SC.

Limbo, Soi 25 is possible but you must take the subsoi to 23 as SC is between Sois 21 (Asoke) and 23! ::

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"what are Dutch pancakes exactly?"

They are larger than crepes and American pancakes and often have one or more toppings on them. One pancake is a full meal.

It is the toppings actually that make the difference I think, and most pancake restaurants have 100+ different options on their menu.

"Did not know that, only "cakes" from holland I know are

"space cakes" but I think this it not what you are willing to eat"

Hahahhaha, no I would not recommend those in Thailand.

Sanuk!

OK, OK, now listen up ................

'Dutch' pancakes are made from the same basic ingredients as all pancakes ........... what makes them different is the method used to cook them.

While regular pancakes and their cousins Crepes,are done on a grill, the Dutch variation uses a technique seldom found in asia... they are BAKED. Usually in a heavy pan in a hot oven. This allows them to rise more and usually results in the center collapsing when removed from the oven, so the Dutch covered this 'flaw' by filling the centers with fruit, or as KS suggests, more exotic mixtures such as salami, cheese and bacon.

Like many cooking techniqes that require ovens or slow cooking, these techniques are seldom found in asia, so you will only get 2nd best.

Hi,

"are done on a grill"

On a grill???? I thought all pancakes were baked in a frying pan.

Learn something new everyday.

"Usually in a heavy pan in a hot oven."

Never seen that before though (the oven I mean). Like I said, we just use a large frying pan on a stove.

Sanuk!

That is why they don't turn out they way you want. You need to preheat an oven to 400F. along with the pan. Butter pan liberally,Pour in the batter, return to the hot oven. When they start to brown (5 minutes) turn the heat down to about 325F and cook another 10-15 minutes.

The baking action, with heat all around, allows them to rise higher, like a souffle. The centers usually collapse when removed from the heat.......... thus the clever dutch pocket for fillings.

Make sure are ingredients are a room temperature before mixing, and unlike American panckes which should be overmixed , beat the ingredients well..... a blender even.

Similar techniques for Yorkshire puddings and souffles.

Archived