best Indian?

Dude_Le_Rude

Also think about early Chinese food, in Australia it was westernised, so we'd like it! Same went for Thai food. I "Used" to have what I thought was great Thai food, until I came here!

Nothing I was eating in Australia in the 80's was really thai food! Mostly curries with coconut milk! Sweet and yummy, but not thai as i now know it.

And sometimes, that fusion works well. I know a number of great Thai restauants, look at Blue Elephant, and the famous one in Sydney Australia, just opened in London, both are 3/4 star restaurants and NOT ownedd by Thai's, head chef is a Aussie in the Aussie one and the belgium in the other I think.

Think about the most authentic issan food. Do you think boney rat stew, boiled frogs, raw beef is going to go down well in Sydney? For some it will, but I bet the place goes broke.

The best THai I had in Sydney was Thai ownedd, but I always ordered "Off Menu" ie I told the the name of the dish I anted in Thai, then it was authenitc, but as the owner said, "10 000 thai restauants in Sydney, have to make it taste Aussie or no one eat it"

DOG

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...as the owner said, "10 000 thai restauants in Sydney, have to make it taste Aussie or no one eat it"..."

Went to a "Thai restaurant" here, with a girl from Issarn, she got to talking with the waitress, and it came out the restaurant was owned and operated by Lao people, from LauPhrabang. They came as refugees in the 70's. She told my friend and me "put Lao food, or Lao restaurant on the sign, no one would come..." Just now starting to see "lao food" signs around certain places...for years, many Cambodian Places advertised "Chinese, Thai Cambodian food" the same places, same owners are just now starting to only say "Cambodian Food."

Same same with Pakistani food, used be all be Indian or Indian and Pakistani restaurants...now just Pakistani...

Went to a "Thai restaurant" here, with a girl from Issarn, she got to talking with the waitress, and it came out the restaurant was owned and operated by Lao people,

Hey OH,

that seems to be a pretty common thing. The best Thai restaurant I found on the Big Island of Hawaii was owned by Lao people. Excellent food, we went there many times... after we got to know the owners a bit, they would cook up some special Lao dishes that were not on the menu.

Peace!

Yeah, it worked out for us! We got a few dishes that weren't on the menu either. Turns out, the place is owned by a former Colonel from the Royal Lao Airforce. He knows a friend of mine, and a few of my drinking buddies in BKK, interesting guy...we even got free dessert!

Back to Indian Restaurants; Mrs. Balbeer, the namesake and owner of the small Indian Restaurant by that name on Suk soi 11/1, Teaches Indian cooking on several local TV channels. Her Chicken Tikka Masalla is the best I've eaten. Moderate prices, worth a try.

Pahurat, close to Chinatown, as already pointed here.

One of the sois is very small and there are hole in the walls (literally) where you can select your food from big pots on the stove. Outstanding lassis as well there.

Some restaurants in that soi as well.

• 3 weeks later...

2 places I like

Middle of the rang would be Kashmir 419 Surkhumvit Rd right near Soi Cowboy.

The other place is a cheap eat in the 1st lane way when walking up Soi 12 Surkhumvit Rd good chicken ticka

:stirthepo :stirthepo :stirthepo

Mrs. Balbirs... Highly overated in my opinion. Akbars is far better.

Try a small place near the Temple at the end of Khao San, cant remember the name of it but they sell one of my favourites... Masal Dosa. I was in India earlier this year and can say that the Dosas here are as good as any i tasted in Rajasthan

Cheers

Roger

Archived