best Indian?

Dude_Le_Rude

Nervous_Dog said:

ahj mahal at Rembrandt is good, however all teh Indian engineers I have in town prefer the one at Soi 7. Forget the name.

New Bukhara on Suk at Soi 7. I like that one too and most of my Indian friends also go there, so that says a lot.

Raj Mahal (in the Rembradt) and Himali Cha Cha (on Suk Soi 35) are excellent too. And if money is no object, Hazara in The Face Bar complex (Suk Soi 36) is top notch as well!

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ironic you should say that. Out of the 20 Indian places in Bangkok I've been to, thats the ONLY ONE WITH ALL THAI STAFF AND THAI COOKS. Not one Indian person to be found. And I always ask whether Indian people cook the food in the places I go to. So its hilarious when you mention you've been to India.....

The Royal India in Pahurat, just opposite the Sikh temple. Plenty of choices, veg thali for about 120 baht or so, meat dish thali for not a lot more. Inexpensive food and damned good. Well, after all it IS in "Little India" -- not an overpriced place in the tourist area. Unbelievable choice of Indian sweets in the soi outside the restaurant.

p.s. A friend likes a small Bangladeshi place just west of Bamrungrad Hospital. Haven't tried it myself yet.

<< Out of the 20 Indian places in Bangkok I've been to, thats the ONLY ONE WITH ALL THAI STAFF AND THAI COOKS. >>

John Everingham started Himali Cha Cha back in the 1980s. The ostensible "owner" was an Indian who had cooked for Mountbatten a few times when he was in the Army in WWII. I imagine old Cha Cha must be deceased by now and that Thais are using his receipes. Haven't been there in many years. I thought the food was all right, but I prefered the Simla Cafe, run by an elderly Sikh named Kishan Singh. Kishan did all of the cooking and everything you ordered was made fresh, even the rice. Not many places do that. Alas, Kishan closed his restaurant and moved to live with his son in Singapore long ago. I expect he has passed on to his reward too.

Hazara Bangkok is a branch of the original place in Jakarta, which is open since the early 90s on Jalan W.Hasyim, and which is since long a 'classic' spot among expats and aware tourists to bring their lovely javanese dates/conquests.

The owner is an indonesian/chinese who opened then in 98, always in Jakarta, the Lanai Thai/Face Bar (the open air rooftop terrace is an highly pleasant place to play pool, always full of beauties) in Menteng area. He opened after that new branches in Shangai, and then in Bangkok.

june11 said:

How ironic you should say that. Out of the 20 Indian places in Bangkok I've been to, thats the ONLY ONE WITH ALL THAI STAFF AND THAI COOKS. Not one Indian person to be found. And I always ask whether Indian people cook the food in the places I go to. So its hilarious when you mention you've been to India.....

why should thais, properly trained, not be able to cook good indian food? there are americans who cook excellent french food; there is a good restaurant with a thai chef (female; her husband is italian but he let his thai wife cook!) cooking excellent italian food on soi 31 (forgot the name) etc.etc.

i prefer Himali Cha Cha to many other indian restaurants mentioned above, where indian cook

and yes, i have been extensively to india and always only ate indian food there!

Guest lazyphil

Cooking I suspect is like languages, a non native English speaker with a vely good education could proberbly grasp all the perfect grammer, spelling etc...but never spot an accent like a native of country xy or Z and the slang that others grow up with.....I think this applys to cooking, I mean I bet you couldn't make beans on toast as good as me!....seriously though, do you get what I'm saying?.....

Archived