Typing problems

Old Hippie

well firstly OH..... if you are referring to typing while on the board here, then it is probably only a connection problem, so a slight dely sometimes when the data is sent around the world to and from the servers.

Not to be concerned.

But if it is happening when you are typing on a dicument just ON your computer, then possible problem.

Norton is a resource hog so I and many others use a simpler anti-virus program like AVG

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get Norton firewall and the antivirus for free, through my internet provider. I don't use it though, it bogs down my PC. The crap even made my PC crash - so I dropped it. I got the PC free from work, its a Pentium II and I run Windows 98. I don't want to waste money on HW which I don't need.

I don't use any firewall on my surfing PC, and neither any virus protection. I do run scans to remove adware now and then. There is no important data on this PC and I have a backup harddisk to put in if problems arise. Haven't needed to use it though.

Its a hype with security on the net these days. If you look before you enter, and keep away from shit sites its the best protection. Oh, and the best programs to protect you won't be 100% effective anyway.. Ghost your system HD, backup your data and don't get scared by the doomday screamers around.

Here is a nice little proggie to edit the startup programs. There seems to be quite a few arrogant little proggies that think they need to be running all the time. Kill 'em all, I say! Memory is a terrible thing to waste.

(Seriously, OH, we can tell you which ones are unnecessary.)

Cheers,

SD

PS: I am on the "Norton is crap" bandwagon too. And now you see why. Scrap it and go with AVG. Small, friendly to use, updates biweekly, and its free!

o.k. obviously I can disable ones like Kodak Kodak EasyShare software Startup Folder -> Common "C:\Program Files\KODAK\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe" -h No Kodak EasyShare software 2, 0, 4, 57 Kodak EasyShare software Eastman Kodak Company C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup 9/16/2002 3:42:06 PM

and a few others...as this is just for start up and running in the back ground I assume...? So what else should I disable...? Should I disbale or deleate? some of them...? my fear is we are getting into an area where I can seriously screw up...

taking stuff out of the startup file, doesn't delete the program, it simply tells the computer not to load and run it in the background every time you boot up. Any of the programs can be run at any time, they will just take a few seconds to load.

Your antivirus stuff will always load as it does it from an entry in the registry.

I have been using Norton SystemWorks for years with absolutely no problems. I always purchase the disk (not a down load). I only load the Anti-Virus. Notorn SystemWorks disk has a feature called WinDoctor that I run from disk. Cleans up registry problems. I use the Norton WinDoctor from disk about once a month.

Also use free Ad-Aware and free Spybot - make sure you have latest version and update frequently.

This problem could be as simple as a bad keyboard, bad cable from keyboard to a stuck key.

It is not clear whether this is happening while writing on website or a Word document.

In Windows, always visit Windows Update to make sure all the updates are current.

Also, the consumption of alcohol may affect the computer.

Make sure the operator and the computer are sober.

"...Also, the consumption of alcohol may affect the computer.

Make sure the operator and the computer are sober..."

Yep, both are sober! :) Seems this just started...I seem to recall it started right after I installed Skype again...conflict perhapes...?

Archived