The end of sanuk?

Killing the sex trade in Thailand would certainly not be an overnight thing.

However given time they could certainly displace it. The sanuk scene brings billions of baht into Thailand every year.

Thailand has massive debt and is fairly unattractive for large scale foreign investment.

Injuring the sanuk scene and therefore reducing the receipts from tourism would push Thailand further down that scale of attractiveness to overseas investors.

That doesn't mean that Thaksin wont try to do it though. Maybe we should all try and learn a few words of Cambodian?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. T would certainty not kill the sanuk scene and to me it is good the way that T is cleaning the drugs scene at this moment.

If T during his action clean out those f.….g bastards who just coming to the LOS looking for under-aged boys or girls, I do not have a problem with that as well.

The sanuk scene will be there as it is everywhere in the word.

It's Pom_Jao_Choo again posting in his other

Alias.

I know this is purely romantacising a best case scenario but... Imagine these efforts detering the

ever increasing numbers of the advancing Sanuker

hordes pillaging our BG's :-)) :-D

Let's just step back for a moment and imagine that you are a middle class Thai - not easy giventhat the middle class is not so big, but for arguments sake... You start to see evidence that the government is making an effort to clean up the drugs trade and is commencing an effort to clean up the flesh trade, particularly that that caters to foreigners and DOES give the country a bad reputation, who would you feel? I bet this group of Thai people would be fairly pleased...

What interests me is what will happen to the farang expats here if in a short space of time, the sex scene (I HATE it when people say sanuk scene when referring to the nightlife) disappeared... It wouldn't bother me too much - and I know some of my firends woudl not be too bothered...but there would be man ywho would be HEARTBROKEN!

Stick

Let us not forget that Thaimand is not the only place with prostitution!

Every country has it more, or less openly.

Paris was one of the first places to benifit from an international nightclub scene...and it is still there.

The only countries without open prostitition are strict Moslem countries and to a certain extent the prudes of the Western World the UK and to a lesser extent the US.

Bangkok as a city has a reputation as a place to party. That brings in all kinds to be just part of that scene. Prostitution is just a part of it.

And we know what the self rightous Western press are like. Never let the truth interfere with a good story!

Yesterday there was a newsitem I saw about 12 (I think) English women being raped in LOS in the last 18 months. The figures were from the British Embassy which also pointed out that Thailand was one of the safest places to holiday. But the headline was 12 raped in Thailand!

And I bet they were not raped by Tourists.

I once had to clear up after a rape in Turkey were a Western (middle aged) women had in effect got herself into trouble. Very common I am afreaid.

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

What interests me is what will happen to the farang expats here if in a short space of time, the sex scene (I HATE it when people say sanuk scene when referring to the nightlife) disappeared... It wouldn't bother me too much - and I know some of my firends woudl not be too bothered...but there would be man ywho would be HEARTBROKEN!

Stick

I agree with you 100% Stickman and I think if you took a poll of the expats here in the LOS (how does that Poll feature work anyway?) a majority of them would not be all that upset if the nightlife scene for farangs vanished. Yes, it is great to go to these places, but there are other venues around outside of that realm. I find it incredibly easy to meet and date Thai straight women, for example. I know it is difficult for sex tourists who generally lack the time or desire to court these ladies and prefer a quick fix in the form of a Thai BG. Good for them.

But, those would be the guys upset if NEP, Patpong, CEP, and Soi Cowboy (among others) shut their doors. The expats would grumble and adjust. There are long stretches I don't go to the farang bars at all, and I still love it here.

I will take issue with your hating the terms 'sanuk scene.' While I see your point, Stick, I maintain I go out for the sanuk first, and the sex part usually happens too. But, I feel one (sex) is the result often of the other (sanuk). I know of no other place on earth where you can have just so much fun and that is the sanuk part for me. Of course, when the exclamation point on a fine sanuk evening out happens to be a Thai lady spending some, um, quality time with you, that adds to the overall scene.

I am pretty sure the Farang sex scene (Well sais, Stickman, I too object to the use of the word sanuk being a euphemism for sex. It is not) will not disappear but may well become less visible. Just think of the domestic scene, vast but largely out of sight. Imagine more use of MP's and "goings on" behind smoked glass doors.

I agree that there are a great many farangs that wouldnt miss the sex scene and all the baggage that goes with it. It certainly wouldnt persuade me to relocate.

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Johnny Was ]

Sarisin wrote:

quote:

I agree with you 100% Stickman and I think if you took a poll of the expats here in the LOS (how does that Poll feature work anyway?) a majority of them would not be all that upset if the nightlife scene for farangs vanished. Yes, it is great to go to these places, but there are other venues around outside of that realm. I find it incredibly easy to meet and date Thai straight women, for example.

Sars, I'll have to disagree. A lot of expats 1) don't speak but 10 words of Thai 2) wouldn't want get entangled with a "real" g/f.

Didn't you say yourself that despite many dates you have with straight ladies, very, very few end up in your den? I suspect part of it is that you know that they are unlikely to be happy with a one-night stand (or sanuk on a weekly schedule). And why deal with all of the troubles that go with a real girlfriend if you can have all the sanuk and sex you can handle on the weekend - and have your life back in time for tea?

The sanuk scene in Thailand is a product of economic necessity combined with culture combined with lack of enforcement. Only removing the economic necessity could eradicate the sanok scene. Enforcement will merely shift it to different venues.

Which would really be a bummer for both visitors and expats. One thing we all like about the sanuk scene is that it is civilized and safe. We like to watch a sexy show and sip on Johnny Black, and then take the puying of our choice back to the hotel for entertainment between the sheets.

If I have to do it in the bushes of Lumpini Park I'll miss the sanuk scene.

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

Mad max made the point in terms of economics.

I am surprised to read that "most" expats would almost applaud the end of the sex scene, or not miss it. Wow! That is the overstatement of the year. No doubt, there are quite many expats who have no interest in it, but i think most of the ones on this board make us feel like you are a part of it, (what's the name of this site/board?), just see all the infos on how to handle b/gs on some of your respective sites. The fact is; 99% guys who log on these sites and forums have only one idea in mind, and all (expats too) are getting along with it. I agree with the fellow who said,it was indeed about sanook. Sure, we all can move on and re-visit Sukhotai again (1% at least), but there is a special feeling being had hanging out at night in BKK or Pattaya (well, early morning too there) that is quite independant of having sex with a prostitute: the noise, the crowd, buddies, titillation, just being there.... I am surprised about Stickman's comment about sex and not sanook scene. Sounded like some guy who came, got laid, and went. Cheers

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

Archived