The end of sanuk?

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by shygye:

Are not the police also closing Thai places like RCA and Siam Hotel at 2AM?"

The coffee shop of Siam Hotel is open 24 hours. RCA closes at 2 a.m.

I read in the Nation that the police are clearing out girls in and around Siam Hotel. This was a big freelancer scene for Thais.

frown.gif" border="0

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pom_Jao_Choo here again,

just 3 quick opinions.

1 Sanuk is not a word for sex but for fun.

2 If there were an end to the sex scene in LOS

theres no way it would be the end of the fun and

I certainly would be going back anyways.

3 I find what Johny Was siad

"may well become less visible. Just think of the domestic scene, vast but largely out of sight. Imagine more use of MP's and "goings on" behind smoked glass doors."

to be very exciting and a best case scenario. With

competition cut to negligable due to less advertising

there would many fewer clubs for people in the know where once again you would be surounded with nothing but stuners.

Pom_Jao_choo

Money talks...

Didn't someone try to blow up the Prime Minister's plane not too long ago? It would seem to me that there's simply too much money at stake for some elected official to put an end to all the fun quite so easily. Anyway, I firmly believe in the power of corruption. Sooner or later, things will return to normal.

Rex cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Snake Head:

I was talking to a BG today who told me that recently the police are really cracking down on the whole sanuk scene "they are trying to stop Thai lady going with farang men. Sukhumvit is full of police. The orders come from Thaksin".

How can this work, Many board members apart from myself have Thai wife, do I have to carry my marriage papers around with me just so I can walk down Sukhumvit with my wife?

quote:

Originally posted by Mekong:

How can this work, Many board members apart from myself have Thai wife, do I have to carry my marriage papers around with me just so I can walk down Sukhumvit with my wife?

Yes! Have you not heard there is a 2000 Baht fine if you are caught without your papers. This is usually enforced near the end of the month. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Mekong:

I don't know about anyone else's wife but I pity the poor cop who would challenge Mrs. Condom King.

The other day she and her brother were stopped at a makeshift roadblock on Rama IV and told that all motorcycles riding past that spot were getting a summons. She accused the cop of corruption, threatened to take his ID number and go to the police station to ask why she had to give him 100B. The poor bastard had all he could do to shut her up and get rid of her. Her brother was dumbfounded. Just goes to show what 10 months in NY can do for a girl.

laugh.gif" border="0

BTW, I know we're talking in generalities here but I think I read someplace (TAT literature?) that tourism is the number one source of revenue for this country. So does it make sense to discourage tourism of any kind? Shouldn't anyone who comes here and spends money, i.e. helps the collapsing economy, be welcomed and thanked. I don't get it, but then again my viewpoint may be distorted by the use of logic and common sense. crazy.gif" border="0

C king,

Years ago, they did not mind what kind of tourism they attracted. Now, they do. Things change, people, governements too. It's a slow process, but i think they don't like the idea anymore of a Thailand known mostly for its sex tourism. Your wife's strong-minded attitude shows that thai society is changing ever so slightly and cringes at age-old practices. Little by little and rightfully, IMO

Originally posted by Rex7777:

[QB]Money talks...

Didn't someone try to blow up the Prime Minister's plane not too long ago?

A plane did blow up not too long ago at Don Muang which was soon to be boarded by Khun Taksin and one of the first reactions was that it was a plot to blow up the PM. However after investigation by a US team sent over by Boeing it was found to be purely accidental caused by the air conditioning system being used for too long a period while the plane was parked at the gate and was not foul play

quote:

Originally posted by Rex7777:

Money talks...

Didn't someone try to blow up the Prime Minister's plane not too long ago? It would seem to me that there's simply too much money at stake for some elected official to put an end to all the fun quite so easily. Anyway, I firmly believe in the power of corruption. Sooner or later, things will return to normal.

Rex
cool.gif" border="0

First, there was no attempt on the life of the prime minister, see previous post, and if, how would you know it is tied to sex tourism? Kind of short-sighted view on thai politics whose arcane workings are, frankly, totally inscrutable to members of this board, not to mention most people, thai or farangs. IMO

Speaking of Thai politics and Thaksin, there is an excellant article in this weeks Far Eastern Economic Review. Balanced and informative discussion of the politcal and economic problems facing Thailand. Too long to san and post here, but informative reading.

Archived