Alcoholics Annonymous

Mekong

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a colleague of mine has died last Saturday in Bkk as a result of his alcoholism. He was just 48 years old. He'd moved to LOS just one year ago.

A friend who is working in LOS took him to the hospital, but it' was to late.

He was an alcoholic for many years.

:(

Sometimes i wondering about the fact that so many farangs are happy to move to LOS and when they did it, many dies as a result of alcohol.

"...Sometimes i wondering about the fact that so many farangs are happy to move to LOS and when they did it, many dies as a result of alcohol..."

Well...yeah, but in many ways no wonder really. Ever see the movie "Leaving Las Vegas?" About a broken down drunken loser, at the end of everything, life sort of ganging up on him, and the Booze takes over. Loses his job, cashes everything out, and goes to LV with the idea of drinking himself to death in 3-6 months...Substitute Nick Cage for me, and BKK for Las Vagas, and well, could be the same story...

In the last year and a half, I have seen 4 guys I knew, die at work, 2 on the crapper...all 4 over age 65...figure if you had a choice, dieing at work on the bowl at age 70, having nothing and having had a boring mundane life, or going out at 57 or 60, in a drunken stupor in LOS, having left a legacy of famous drunken mayhem fun and good times...which would you choose? I'd go for the drunken Mayem etc...

Old Hippie said:

In the last year and a half, I have seen 4 guys I knew, die at work, 2 on the crapper...all 4 over age 65...figure if you had a choice, dieing at work on the bowl at age 70, having nothing and having had a boring mundane life, or going out at 57 or 60, in a drunken stupor in LOS, having left a legacy of famous drunken mayhem fun and good times...which would you choose? I'd go for the drunken Mayem etc...

From that point of view, you are right.

My colleague was divorced from his thai-wife (of course...), lost his job, lost his money to the thai-wife (of-course), then he was sent to a withdrawal hospital for a couple of month without a good effect. After that he became a social insurance and moved then to Bkk.

stevescottcfi is correct and there is nothing in the AA program that requires a belief in any religion at all. The group itself is often used as the higher power for folks who are adamant aetheists(nothing wrong with being aetheist at all).

Drinking is described as the symptom, not the cause of our difficulties and the majority of the AA program is about leading happy fulfilling lives once sober.

The frequent drunkalogues you may hear in meetings serve the purpose of letting people realize they aren't the only ones this has happened to, and for me to remind me of what i don't want to go back to. I have been sober for 5 years going to AA meetings.

Archived