Alcoholics Annonymous

Mekong

I started drinking when I was 12 years old. My father is an alcoholic and sister is a degenerate alcoholic (some may understand what this means). I've been known to get quite drunk on occassion but 99% of my drinking nights i've always stopped before my drinking buddies stopped.

Its not that i DON'T have one too many. Shit there has been several times on vacation when i got fucking plastered and could not even bring a girl to my room cause i knew i wouldn't be able to get off and she would not be happy about the farang who never comes but fuck fuck fucks. Or who doesn't fuck at all depending on what i drank.

But there seems to be a switch somewhere that gets thrown and says you had enough and i just stop drinking. And I don't drink alone except for a beer or two at the most at dinner. So i don't know where i fall on the alcoholic scale.

This post caught my eye:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sukhumvit said:

Another geezer told me that he was drunk every day for 4 years. Held down a job. Apparently he'd sometimes go out and drink all night and end up sitting on benches with winos drinking till morning. Now he's cleaned his act up and is totally sober although he has become a fitness freak...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tends to happen. By definition, alcoholics are incorrigibly obsessive by nature so, when the boozing vanishes from our lives, we need to find something else quick to obsess on to replace it.

After returning from LOS two months ago, I have not had one single drink. I'm jogging and hitting the gym and strict diet (to gain not lose weight). The gym workouts are severe and two hours at a clip. Alcohol does not fit into the plan.

Never thought of it as having an obsessive trait so your post has me thinking about what it is that motivates me.

Well if i'm obsessive so be it. Its gotten me into serious physical shape. Too bad i'm not obsessive about my business would be fucking rich by now.

Will be drinking in the go gos and the bkk sidewalks again next month when i return to LOS, and without a doubt will be back to not drinking when the trip is over. I consider myself to be lucky with this alcohol thing cause i can turn it on and off. But if i were living a different life (like being a barowner) then who knows.

Good thread.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In fact, isn't wine all over the bible? I don't know about other people but whatever I'm reading or watching influences my drinking. If I'm reading a Raymond Chandler book and Marlowe's having a whisky or gimlet, I want one! When watching Bond, I'm going "Mmmm.. vodka martini looks good". If I read the bible, I'd be desperate for wine with bread, olives and pomegranates"

That's the perk to have a vast culture :: So many raffinate ways to go :drunk:

MaiLuk said:

Mekong: You were joking about that debate in the AA meeting. Right?

Not Joking, exactly as it happened, one of the more abstract days of my life I admit. Just remember at the time I was only 1 week in to fighting my addiction, and as I mentioned previously, my own way of dealing with it was to concentrate on one subject (The Non-Existance of God ... From a Scientifical perspective in my case)in order not to think about booze.

Strange method I admit, but it helped me over the initial hump.

MaiLuk said:

But there seems to be a switch somewhere that gets thrown and says you had enough and i just stop drinking. And I don't drink alone except for a beer or two at the most at dinner. So i don't know where i fall on the alcoholic scale.

Will be drinking in the go gos and the bkk sidewalks again next month when i return to LOS, and without a doubt will be back to not drinking when the trip is over. I consider myself to be lucky with this alcohol thing cause i can turn it on and off. But if i were living a different life (like being a barowner) then who knows.

Good thread.

Same same with me. I do drink regulary - but never at work (work in a bar). Can take quite a lot - but than again just a couple of beers.

Can switch off - hope this will last, but I keep it monitored.

MaW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived