Microsoft Vista...OS

Shit-Spattered Dog

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Huh, now I am really confused. I have never been able to make this work (on at least 3 machines I can think of).

What I do is right-click on the directory, then select Search from the menu. Then enter a word in the second box (A word or phrase in the file) and hit Search.

Just tried it like that and it does not work.

Sanuk!

I tried it your way. Once again it worked.

Possibly, it may have something to do with your search preferences -- perhaps it's needed that "indexing" is turned on? I noticed there are some more options as well, for example you can have the advanced search as default.

As a paranthesis. Historically, the Windows search function has been such crap, that I actually rarely use it. This particular feature though seems to work fine on my machine. I tried with both simple and complex search strings.

Hi,

"perhaps it's needed that "indexing" is turned on?"

And where would I do that? Do not have that many options:

- When was it modified?

- What size is it?

- More advanced options

The latter has the options:

- type of file

- search system folders (on)

- search hidden files and folders

- search subfolders (on)

- case sensitive

- search tape backup

Nothing about indexing.

Sanuk!

suadum said:

Same as XP IMHO. A resource hog that gave me nothing more than 2000 did. So I upgraded but then regressed back to 2000.

Ya, Adobe Premiere 7.0 only runs on XP, but I seem to make do with Premiere 6.5 for the little movie editing I do. Can't think of any other software I am interested in that does not run on Win2K.

Sounds like I'll still keep my Win2K -- stable, relatively efficient, does all that I need it to.

Cheers,

SD

I thought that I was a pig in shit when windows 3.1 came out. Now I could use a gui or dos enviroment to tinker around in. But now I find most program will not work under dos7.0 or whatever they call it now.

As for Xp, I found it worked decent when I hook up my cf card reader, my intel cs110 camera, my 895cxi desktop ( networked.) I can reload it from Ghost in about 11 minutes using a Ghost .img file. I am kinda impressed.

I think Vista was developed to compete with Apple's UI. Looking at the screen shots and reading some the reviewer's comments they compare the Vista's Gui with Apple's. So it looks like Bill is taking Apple a little more serious than before.

As for the underlying infacstructure it could just be a rehashed Xp?

Archived