Microsoft Vista...OS

Shit-Spattered Dog

Nah, default is that it searches all files.

Compression and indexing shouldn't matter.

If he can't turn up anything searching on the word "and" or "the" then something is wrong with the OS installation as I can't think of any option that would interfere with searching.

<<burp>>

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

One of the biggest problems I have with XP is that it cannot search for a piece of text inside a file. It works fine in 2000 though.

You might want to give the Yahoo Desktop Search utility a try. I've found it to be better than any Microsoft search tool, especially when searching Outlook. It is a bit of a resource hog but if you have sufficent RAM, you shouldnt notice any problems.

One thing I would do however is schedule the indexing to run on a nightly basis when your not using your computer.

I love Google and I actually looked at the Google version first but a security flaw that allowed your search results to be posted to web pages across the internet scared me away. :: That flaw has since been fixed.

Depending on the type of searches you perform, you may want to choose one over the other.

This link gives a good overview on the strengths/weaknesses of the two programs.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Warriors-of-Desktop-Searching-5661.shtml

Hi Khun Sanuk,

Try this:

1. Open the Search by right clicking on a folder in Explorer

2. Click on "Change preferences"

3. Click on "With Indexing Service (for faster local searches)

4. Click on "No do not enable Indexing Service"

I have the latter turned off because once read somewhere that it slows the computer down by having to update the index every time a file is changed.

I also think that it means that Windows will only search for indexed items. Should the computer or a program hang for any strange reason then the index will get corrupt or not be updated. I have no idea how to refresh the search index so do not use this feature.

Cheers,

John_betong

Hi Khun Sanuk,

My Search box that popped up had the"Change preferences" option shown by default, honest!

If you have a "Back" button showing then click that regardless that you have not been anywhere:) The "Change preferences" option should then appear.

Cheers,

John_Betong

PS In my quest to help you I thought that the answer would be in the Tools/folder options/view checkbox options. I tried changing some options and then lost my "Change preferences" option! I had quite a bit of difficulty in restoring the "Change preferences" option.

Archived