July's winners

khunsanuk

All,

I find My Thailand a nice broad theme. It is an "individual" theme where all can show what Thailand is for them personally. It should bring us a broad range of photos that could be very interesting to see. I'll be sending in my 2 pics later this weekend. Dig through your files guys. This should be a contest that lets you show your state of mind and what you feel Thailand gives to you and how it affects you and alters your spirit in whatever way. I have just bought a scanner and have spent some serious time scanning my older pics as well. So now I have a much broader range of pics to choose from. May the best pic win! :)

Cent

p.s. Meaning stop whingeing and start going through your photos! :D :: And nah, what ND? We'll just have 10 or so guys voting? Screw that in my opinion. The more the merrier. Just too bad more don't send in a pic or two for the contest. BTW, what's this month's prizes? :: ::

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really agree. at least for now. the contest is still new and will get more marginalized this way, and even if we rant, let's not get too hung about it, and keep encouraging people to vote, and contribute of course.

I wonder if the reason why it's so hard to get a miserly 20 pix for a contest, has to do with the fact that people do not have any special pix worth the theme of any month(1), or do not want to submit their souvenirs to a vote that may them let felt down, if lower points.

(1)There may also not be too many members shooting here and there, save a big temple, a beach sunset (that's an idea for a them, add sunrise to it), and their cuties.

maybe we could put a thread in GD to find out.

EDIT:

actually, why not allow people who have ran, the right to send 3 pix? For this month's theme, i know someone like Cent will agonize about which 2 pix to send. Me too, so 3 is better. And any hat trick would be quite a feat, unlikely as it seems! :)

See your point SD,

didn't realise that when I proposed the idea but realised later when I started to ponder what pix I can send in about the drawback involved in this theme.......................

Will send in pix, not sure which ones tho.............

pattaya127 said:

I wonder if the reason why it's so hard to get a miserly 20 pix for a contest, has to do with the fact that people do not have any special pix worth the theme ...

No, I don't think so. IMO, the reasons are mainly

a) it's not clear enough how to participate

B) images are not presented in a tasteful manner (i.e. they should be allowed to be larger in size and, perhaps, set to a dark backgruound.

I never go to the photo gallery section on the site and I never vote in the contests -- although I'm interested. It's just that you're never steered going that way. Just look at the teenny weenny link up there, "photo gallery". It's hardly visible!

Also, with almost all new mobile phones providing a camera, why not capitalize on that? A few suggestions: Let members upload photos by SMS, introduce an alternative photo album "nightlife by camera phone" and so on...

Hi,

"a) it's not clear enough how to participate"

Very easy, just send in the picture to me by email. I am certain this has been mentioned several times.

"b) images are not presented in a tasteful manner (i.e. they should be allowed to be larger in size and, perhaps, set to a dark backgruound."

They can be viewed at their original size by clicking on the image. Background color I could change I suppose, but then what color to chose? I am sure there will always be pictures that class with any given color.

"It's just that you're never steered going that way. Just look at the teenny weenny link up there, "photo gallery". It's hardly visible!"

Here I agree though and I made a post on this (well on a more general issue actually) in GD. So many new features have been added to the site recently that the underlying structure needs an overhaul to make it easier to navigate through the site.

Unfortunately, this will require quite a bit of thought and time to implement. Your thoughts are definitely welcome in the thread in GD.

"Also, with almost all new mobile phones providing a camera, why not capitalize on that? A few suggestions: Let members upload photos by SMS, introduce an alternative photo album "nightlife by camera phone" and so on... "

The second suggestion could be implemented, but I am not sure about the first. Please keep in mind that the software we use is third-party. While I am a decent programmer it would just not be viable for me to write a gallery script, nor to modify it to the extent required to allow picture uploads by SMS.

It would be a cool feature though...

Sanuk!

Yes, ... I'll definitely be in the mood for celebrating by the time I/we return ... heck, it might be early November by then.

... perhaps enough time for you to be in Vientianne ?

... I'd most certainly be up for some Beer Lao by then ... if it's doable (and you can save me some!), do it !

Why, the gratitude would simply be overflwing ! :bow:

Anything is fine ... howeve, the Linebaker just cast his vote for Heineken ! ... his favorite !

Archived