Racial hatred rears its ugly head in Bangkok..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading statistics like 90 percent of offenders in Australian prisons were in for drug related crimes.

Violent or non violent related misses the point.

The point is that drug laws are a miserable failure and are clogging up our gaols and costing the community millions.

It is time that drugs were treated as a health issue and not a criminal one.......

As to equity in the judicial system it is interesting that the OJ case is often brought up.

It may have been a miscarriage of justice but if you look at the big picture minorities and blacks specifically have been marginalised and persecuted by the judicial system in the US for most of its history so one small let off is not really going to redress the balance....not by a long shot.

Paillote said:

You call that working perfectly? If a prosecuter "fucks up" it is perfectly fine that you can walk on a crime you definitly did do? A good lawyer improves your chances in court, but a shitty proescutor is even better...

I do. In this case, it was most likely incompetence. But it could easily be malicious intent to plant or otherwise taint evidence. And the right to be protected from that is more important than anythinbg else IMHO.

Regards,

SD

Hi!

I too think he was guilty but the the corruption and total incompetence of the police got him off the hook. I wish this would happen more in Sweden as it might improve the justice system when people understand that someone that has committed a henious crime is aquitted because of corruption and incompetence.

regards

ALHOLK

<< The point is that drug laws are a miserable failure and are clogging up our gaols and costing the community millions. >>

There was a woman caught in Idaho or one of those cowboy states with a few reefers in her purse. The federal court gave her 6 years in the slammer! She's a young housewife with children to raise. All right, so she broke the law. But 6 years behind bars for a "victimless crime"??? Now what becomes of her family?

And then compare that with something like OJ, who brutally murdered two people. (Ron Goldman had several cuts on his neck, where OJ had taunted him before finally slicing through his juglar veins.) SD says justice was served because OJ got off because of the court's incompetence. But would OJ have got off if he hadn't been a wealthy celebrity who could afford the best shysters to defend him? Once again, money walks ... poor folks go to jail. An ordinary poor slob with a public defender would almost certainly have been nailed on that same evidence.

p.s. Remember Paul McCartney being busted in Japan for flying in to the country with a suitcase full of pot? (Oops, excuse me ... I mean Sir Paulie, Kt.) All that happened was his concert was cancelled and McCartney was put on a plane back to wherever he came from. (Probably the US, since he likes the taxes better there.) One of us try it and see what happens.

Archived