Racial hatred rears its ugly head in Bangkok..

I know St Joseph School -- delightful students with their little sailor suits. Excellent reputation. I once taught a weekend class at my university that was open to anyone. The three St Joseph girls who signed up easily held their own with the university students and university grads.

The St Joseph students invariably pass the nationwide entrance exams for the top government universities. Very few of the students are RCs, maybe 10% or so. The others are sent by their parents to get a real education, not that nonsense that passes for teaching in far too many government schools.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flashermac said:

Yeah. Could be a hell of a lot clearer. What RACES are involved here? I suppose the Indians might have been "dark Caucasian", but Chinese and Thais are the same race.

Would you be happier if I used the word ethnicity? But most folks would not know what that means. The word race, for all intents in this instance, means the same thing (I know that this is a pet peeve of yours, tho').

You certainly cannot deny that "Thai" Thais for the most part do not like Indians and Chinese, but usually do not act on it.

Regards,

SD

suadum said:

You certainly cannot deny that "Thai" Thais for the most part do not like Indians and Chinese, but usually do not act on it.

Regards,

SD

And there lies the difference: she did not act on conscious, reasoned "racial hatred" but on an impulse from her disturbed mind.

If you want to make a case for "racial hatred rearing its ugly head", then there are far more suitable topics.

Such as a tremendous rise in the village scout movement since Thaksin became prime minister, or the ****** holding a speach asking those same village scouts for vigilance in the south.

Or the unproportionally high rate of victims under the hilltribe populations during the drugwar. Or the famous singer Carabao with his ultra-nationalist ads for his energy drink.

But a mentally disturbed woman?! Pleeeease...

sourkraut said:

I don't want to argue about definitions, but i would say that the far more suitable thread title would be along the lines the Thai media has presented the case from day one, namely that a headcase went bonkers.

I'd tend to agree with you there. A headcase went bonkers and happened to choose the subject of race. It's not racial hatred until a whole nation decides to worship the headcase, elect him or her as its leader and declare a world war based on the nutcase's beliefs.

::

I would add that (from listening/reading interviews with her) a) she knew right from wrong but still chose to act as she did & B) had a percieved gain from her actions. That negates any "psycho" defense as it should as too many people get free passes for doing heinous things by claiming they have diminished capacity.

Regards,

SD

Archived