when do you give up?

FAT_AUSSIE

That sounds like the messiest way to go at it. Even in Aussie, the mother of the child, thai or not, must have recourses, and even losing her case, it's going to be a painful and long process, with courts directly involved (rather than processing applications and waiting), and him having to take care of her, the Mom, as she will be his guest, let alone mention the mother of his child.

An amicable solution is better (still do all official processings for full guardship of the kid). Any chance she lets the child get the best, by living in Australia, while according her a right to visit her a few months every year. something like that?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pattaya127 said:

An amicable solution is better

First step in case of a divorce: if the wife's family is not willing to give up the child - offer money. That works in most such cases.

If not, then:

Second step: get the a lawyer and the courts involved. Chances are that the child will be given to the father in such a case. Especially because it is custom that in a divorce daughters will be given to the father and sons to the mother.

As the OP himself said that he has no idea about Thai ways, all other solutions will not work, such as getting elders involved.

Anything else is madness, especially kidnapping attempts.

And from what i have gathered from the OP's posts i believe that in his case the right amount of money will get him the child easily.

Guest lazyphil

Hire Old Hippie, chopper him in (Huey by choice), SWAT team style, kick doors in, generally bust skulls and out of dodge with child...oops, too much Hollywood in my house... get back in my box. :o

Seriously, good luck to the OP.

I'd do what is suggested above... Offer a monthly allowance if the child can live in Oz. Send a few hundred dollars so the kid can make it to Bangkok easily, to meet you so you can accompany her home to Australia. When she is home with you, only then, starts sending support. The deal should be that the mum can only see the child when you are around in future. Sounds harsh but it's your daughter's life at stake IMO.

Living in Pattaya, or even on the farm may eventually lead her to work in the industry, bearing in mind it's the daughter who owes her parents (mum) a living in some Thai beliefs.

Fat Aussie, you did not mention if you wife was working in a bar before, its seems we all just assumed that,

It sounds like you are shit out of luck with this lady , seems she has already made her decision,

If money will get your daughter, then why not,

IF you have a support system back in OZ to take care of her, your parents , sister etc,

IF she is just going to be put into daycare them I question if thats really better for her,

millions of kids in Thailand grow up just fine in the small villages , so its more if she will have a better life away from her Thai family.

Hard to call that one

OC

"millions of kids in Thailand grow up just fine in the small villages , so its more if she will have a better life away from her Thai family"

Yeah, but how many of these kids are whores who choose to go back to the profession when they have a decent out (which is an assumption on my part as we really don't know this guy).

Is that the influence you want on a kid? If the mother had a plan, got in the business and executed her plan, that's a different story. This sounds like a lost cause.

As for taking the kid from the village... Life is fraught with danger. It isn't that bad if you take the kid and "family" on an extended outing to the nearest City to go to Big C or Tesco, and then suddenly disappear. It's not like the kid is going to yell kidnapping. It's the father.

<<burp>>

gummigut said:

As for taking the kid from the village... Life is fraught with danger. It isn't that bad if you take the kid and "family" on an extended outing to the nearest City to go to Big C or Tesco, and then suddenly disappear. It's not like the kid is going to yell kidnapping. It's the father.

<<burp>>

Suddenly disappear? In Uttaradit? LOL!

Anyhow, why risking your life in case Murphy's Law sets in when there are still ample legal opportunities to sort the situation out?

Don't get me wrong, i do agree very much that given the information about the family's situation, the daughter remaining in the village is very wrong.

But a kidnap plan along the lines you offered is the most stupid thing one can possibly come up with. A kidnap is the last resort, and then it has to be properly organised - get-away cars, protection, safe houses, tickets out of the country, contingency plans. And most important - beforehand a thorough investigation about legalities.

And as to those villagers not having the resources...I do know one man from that village. You hope he is not from that particular clan. He is former dahan pan, bad news all around, was stationed at the Cambodian border, ripped off Cambodian refugees crossing over, raped their women, did then gem business with the Khmer Rouge out of Pailin. Still very active, with friends of similar attitude all over the country...

Why suggesting a stupidity right out of a bad movie when a bit of money most definately can solve the situation easily?

It's not like the kid is going to yell kidnapping. It's the father.

---------------------------------

That's a bit of a bird eye's view on the psychology of the kid. Sure, she may not scream, but aparently she has lived with her Mom and family longer than with the father. Even young kids pick up wrong vibes, in extraordinary circumstances. does the kid speak english? does the father speak thai?

I would not assume what could be her reaction or as overt it could be, but there is a risk she gets to feel under duress of a psychological nature. The smoothest way as possible is hard enough.

And if Thai authorities recognize the mother as the prime guardian (thai authorities, thai language, thai laws, thai kid, thai mother, a lot to go against in Thailand for a farang), the father, i am almost sure, can fall under kidnapping law.

I know it happened to a wife of a friend here, who back in thailand, took one of her kid away, from who the law said were the legal guardians, as she lived in US. It got messy, and it got costly. case here is different but I think thai laws cover that, moreover if a farang is involved.

If the situation was drastic, the kid was abused, i'd agree, but not the case here, I believe.

Archived