Drugged, mugged, hospitilised and now recovering

John_Betong

From a friend who is hospitalised and still suffering from shock and pain killers:

On Tuesday the English guy, 72 years old, who has lived in Thailand for the past 11 years, went to one of his regular bars in Pat Pong, very close to The Star of Light. While there he met with a couple who I think are from Singapore, according to the bar staff. They had a few drinks and during this time I think he had something slipped into his beer. He became very intoxicated and was taken back to his nearby apartment. The apartment is in a soi off Suriwong, opposite Hotel Tawana Ramada.

While there I think that the assailants were angry at the amount that was available to be stolen so savagely kicked him while he was under the influence of the drug. The assailants left with his money, mobile, credit cards, watch, etc. He lay semi-conscious until morning until he could raise the energy to shout for help.

The cleaning staff found him, informed nearby Bangkok Christian Hospital and he was collected on a stretcher. On arrival he gave the impression that he was drunk so given some sort of sedative. I think he was unconscious all day Wednesday and most of Thursday.

Another friend of mine, who lives in the same apartment block, was informed of the incident by the reception staff. He went to the hospital to find our mutual friend sleeping. This friend of mine left the hospital and happened to see me in Pat Pong.

I went to see my injured friend and was pleased to see him dragging his intravenous drip to try and climb out of the bed and over the slides that prevent patients from falling on the floor. He was trying to go to his apartment!

This badly bruised friend was still heavily drugged and incoherently explained what had happened. Both the nurse and I persuaded him to remain in hospital until the doctor's scheduled visit next morning.

I returned to the hospital today, Friday and saw the doctor who advised my friend to remain in hospital. The doctor advised to remain at least another day because of his weakness which requires assistance to prevent him from falling.

John_Betong

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neo,

The entrances to patpong are all under video survellience. Are they recorded? Perhaps something to ask about. Also kind of wondering why you are not mentioning the bar it happened at as someone might have been there and seen something.

Yes the surveillance cameras did cross my mind and I am waiting to see another Pat Pong local American guy that speaks fluent Thai. My severely limited knowledge of the Thai might get me locked up! I prefer to steer very clear of the police.

As I mentioned my friend was quite incoherent but I think it was the Tavern Two Bar. The staff did say that he was with a couple who they think were from Singapore. I am looking forward to retracing his steps and seeing a girl in the Tavern Two bar that I have known for a long time. She speaks very good English.

Cheers,

John_Betong

I am sure somebody in NP knows something. The suspects will slip up and return after they feel any potential heat is off. They could be at another hotspot looking for their next mark. Any way to get the word out to barowners to look out for this pair once they get more info?

I have been hearing that this drink spiking has been increasing in frequency. :cussing:

Hi PasaThai,

>>> maybe they will try to use the credit cards and can be found that way.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

>>> I have a slight suspicion they are known to the bar staff, if only in passing

After visiting the hospital I went straight round to the Tavern Two Bar and spoke to the manageress about the incident. The next day she visited my friend in hospital and afterwards made a report to the police.

Update: My friend is now out of hospital, still very weak and the bruises are now starting to appear!

From now on I will make sure I finish my beer before I go to the bog!

Cheers,

John_Betong

Truly sorry to hear this about your friend.

And this raises a good point. I will always watch my beer more closely. Mostly drink out of bottles but that still doesn't stop someone from putting a mickey in drink.

I guess, when going to WC - to finish drink first. In other words, never leave a drink unattended.

The credit card thing has me worried. I guess, from now on, I will just carry one credit card when traveling outside hotel.

I always bring/take a seperate wallet for trips to LOS. Just take a few baht, business card from hotel, photocopy of passport, and just one credit card.

But this incident was about someone living in Thailand. I guess this could happen to anyone.

Many times I have begun conversations with strangers at many drinking establishments in Thailand. But I have never left with any of the people. In fact, they leave me.

But in looking back, I did go out with others while staying at the Flamingos Hotel in Phnom Penh last trip. But it was couples, and all were staying at same hotel. Just for dinner. Hmmmm. . . that puts me at risk.

Condolences.

It's a terrible thing and I hope the folks who did it get caught.

I've always wondered whether I was slipped one once. Tough to watch your glass playing pool. I remember feeling drunk and I don't drink. Got out in a hurry and caught a cab home. Woke up the next day with no apparent effects, but what if I did drink beer. I probably wouldn't have been alarmed and could have easily been in your friend's position. Not something I like to think about.

<<burp>>

Archived