The word "ba"

Nervous_Dog

Flashermac and All,

Yeah, bah. Used here in Isaan by my family as "Let's go." The village is Lao, so I don't know if it is a Lao thing or just Thai, Isaan slang, or what. The tone is slightly different from the "farang baa" or baa/crazy, mad. More flat than rising or descending. Almost like the bah in "Bah, humbug", to my ears anyway.

Farang baa does haves a disrespectful meaning unless used in a joking manner or with friends close family and such. I wouldn't use it with a stranger or someone who didn't know me. Ba Ba Bo Bo is the lesser term kinda like "Ah, you're nuts." And Ding dong/ting tong I don't hear used that much really. Usually directed at a kid acting weird I've noticed.

Cent

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

baa - crazy

bpa - lets go!

I've both heard & used frequently in all sorts of occasion & all sorts of TGs & have no reason to believe any of them is isolated to the lao, isaan etc. tribes. I.e. BKK chicks uses them just the same ;)

baa gaam? - horny like hell, nymph etc.

Suadum can you explain a bit further the pronuiciation or confirm whether that one would hold with the central thais as well?

:up:

I only speak Central Dialect Thai (a BG can easily lose me by switching to Issan-speak, but I do not let them know that LOL). Yes, that phrase IS central dialect. Say baa (falling tone) gaam (mid tone).

Baa we know means crazy.

Gaam means " sexual desire; lust; eroticism"

Other uses of gaam (useful to mongers LOL):

¡ÒÃà·¾ - gaam ma-tep is Cupid (i.e., the God of love)

¡ÒÃÃÒ¤à - gaam-ma-raa-ka (also ¡ÒáԨ - gaam-ma-git) means sexual intercourse

¡ÒÃâä - gaam ma-rohk is venereal disease (generically)

¡ÒÃÇÔµ¶Òà - gaam wit-taan means pervert

¹éÓ¡Òà - naam gaam is semen

Cheers,

S"¹Ã¹äÃèËÅѺ - non mai lap"D

That too: ¹éÓÃÊبÔ - naam a-soo-ji (but your Romanization is fine too). This is probably the most "proper" term of the three (but none are vulgar).

And also ¹éÓàª×éà - naam cheua. This and naam gaan *seem* to be a bit more informal, but this distinction is not made by my dictionary. It does point out vulgar or unacceptable words and it does not so note any of these as such.

Cheers,

SD

"Gaam means " sexual desire; lust; eroticism"

TG explained further ba gaam is used about a very bad person who is so hory he/she wanna fuck anything that moves & sadly that goes for a lot of TGs so is cause for a lot of jealousy etc, so basically its a negative word right even to the border of qsyckic ;)

Funny enough as another poster mentioned she used 'ba' as initial comment as I called her ba gaam ::

Archived