The word "ba"

Nervous_Dog

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"pa »Ð (hard consonant, short vowel, low tone) means actually "to meet" not to go"

Yes, but I think the one being talked about here is more the slang version of 'pai' (to go).

(At least it is my understanding that it is a slang version, could very well be wrong :) )

Sanuk!

Hi,

You guys never cease to amaze me of the knowledge. :D

"ba' is a negative word but is used very often with friends, family members. It is rude to call other people. However, my Isaan friends here in the USA use the word like it means nothing serious to them. I asked about the context once, was told that it is used in a context of familarity, beats me! ::

Now the word "phee ba" literally means "crazy ghost" is used in the Northern dialect for "crazy" and friends use it for calling each other when one is not behaving accordingly. I wouldn't recommend these two words to anyone. It can be misunderstood too easily, IMO, of course.

Jasmine

• 3 weeks later...

north i hear this, my father in law says it if he's in a hurry sort of context but I also hear bye-same meaning different sort of situation, like GO and buh like lets get out of here...

if you want to find out what it really means find a taxi driver ask him his name, for example-sot and then start calling him- ba sot.

you'll find out very quick what it means...

Archived