Curry Chicken

EasySt

I looked on that recipe site and none of those looked right

It does not seem to be a very common dish in Bangkok or Pattaya. It seemed to be a lot more common up in Chiang Mai so maybe it is more of a northern dish. I had it in a place in Chiang Mai that was recommended in Lonely Planet and was that ever a good recomendation. I think it was the Aroon Rai Restairant. The Lonely planet guide says their kaeng kari kai (Yellow curry chicken) is the best so maybe that is it. It was unbelievable and only something like 50baht for a big ass plate. Of course I had to have a 20baht plate of sticky sweet rice with mango and coconut milk for dessert. Yum!

Anyone know where I can get that in Bangkok? I know it seems like it would be quite common but I remember having a tough time finding it. Since I wasn't sure of the name I would order based on kai and a picture with curry. That would usually end up being the 'other' kind which I have already established my dislike for.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we tried dude. There is only one curry dish that I know of that uses potatoes and that is the Massaman as was described before. And Massaman is certainly not as easy to find in Bangkok as say, green curry. But I will admit that I do not know much about oddball dishes from Lanna culture (paging Flash...).

Also keep in mind curry is a *way* of cooking, not a specific dish. Therefore, any curry dish pretty much can come with any meat, so blindly picking a "chicken" and a "curry" will lead to disappointment more times than not if you are looking for something specific.

Regards,

SD

Ok, Chicken masaman. I think the fact it has potatoes will make it easier to enquire about. What would "Yellow Curry Chicken with Potatoes" literally translate to?

For those that haven't tried it, trust me, it ROCKS! I am not a curry or indian food fan. I am strictly a meat and potatoes man and this dish is VERY satisfying!

If and when I find it in Bkk/Pattaya I will let you know.

I made Massaman Gai for a Thai party here, Laab Moo also, the Thais coulnd't believe I made it, and kept asking where my Thai wife was...

My advice might be, contacting the restaurant directly via mail or email...and asking the name...or post the name of the place in a separate thread and ask if any one is headed up that way and can do research...

it might be that this is just their rendition of it, and you won't find it anywhere...or it could be Gang Bama, a Burmese rendition. Good luck.

Archived