Wife allowance?

paul101

I'm sure this has come up plenty of times and it might be a topic for one of these poll things. Do guys here believe that a thai wife should automatically expect to recieve an income every month from the husband be he thai or falang, irespective of her own income? Take a case like mine where our incomes are probably roughly similar taking into account cost of living. Me in UK and Ireland and mrs still in Bkk. She seems to expect an income for extra spending power, not a need but a want. I do not support the family but do spend on things she needs (TV at present) and would pay for a better condo, but I draw the line ar her expecting cash payments monthly just because she's married. (no kids)

I expect there is every variation from I don't give her a penny, to I hand my paycheck over, what's reasonable?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
paul101 said:

Not apart for ever, I don't see what our locations have to do with the issue, if she were over here I expect the same issue to arise

For starters

Marriage = settle down!

Why would you marry her when you can't live with her???

Why didn't you wait untill you can be with her for good?

The point is: you married her already - if you cannot live with her you got to pay - send her money because she needs to eat. Bringing food on the table is the job of the husband!

Please think this through the next time BEFORE you marry a girl again (J/K)

Okay one serious thing at the end.

Do what feels right for YOU, if you weren't married yet she would tell you "UP TO YOU, TILAC"

Forgetting the geographical distance for a moment, I think that each partner has to contribute equally to the relationship. Whatever that may entail depends on the peculiarities and differences of each relationship ? they are all different.

But, if you are both earning a similar amount, I see no need to hand money over. This to me is one of those things which should be talked about before marriage. If both partners are expected to work and earn, then there is probably no need to hand over money unless there is a huge disparity in incomes. Even then, it can be managed without the need to hand over cash per se.

In my particular relationship, I pick up most of the bills because my income is higher. But, I do NOT hand over money. My wife earns a good income and while she would no doubt love me to hand over a chunk of change, I do not see any reason to do so.

Stick

Stickman said:

In my particular relationship, I pick up most of the bills because my income is higher. But, I do NOT hand over money. My wife earns a good income and while she would no doubt love me to hand over a chunk of change, I do not see any reason to do so.

:yeahthat: That is my exact relationship as well. Well said Stick.

Cheers,

SD

That is my relationship too. Handing over money was something that was never even discussed. However, she needed a car to get to work and I didn't. Guess who paid for the car. :(

Also, when a member of her family got sick, I was expected to help pay for it. No problem with that. It comes with the turf.

Still, if both partners are working, why should one pay the other?

As to living apart, believe me -- after the first few years together you will probably decide that it is a rather good idea! Absence does make the heart grow fonder. Sometimes the longer the absence, the fonder it seems.

:dunno:

Flashermac said:

As to living apart, believe me -- after the first few years together you will probably decide that it is a rather good idea! Absence does make the heart grow fonder. Sometimes the longer the absence, the fonder it seems.

Well, as you know, Mrs Tiger & I do just that since the girls are now in school in the States. But we have been married for nearly 18 years (eee-gad, that long???). And when we were together, she like the fact that I travelled a lot. If I was home for more than 2-3 weeks at a time she would actually say "Aren't you supposed to be going somewhere?" :D Good woman, that one.

I just think that separation will doom a marriage to failure if it starts out that way. Who knows, I could be wrong. That *has* happened once or twice before...I think in 1974.....555555555555555555555 :clown:

Cheers,

SD

Guest lazyphil

If I was a massive earner I'd be more than happy to give sums of money for her to play with (I'm not against the principle of giving money) but as i'm not we have a joint account to which her money goes in weekly me monthly, bills/los house loan/mortgage go out on a monthly direct debit....if i have extra money i will buy her stuff/take her out, taking her to a cuban show on monday night for example, took her to america, italy and austria and numerous places here, truth is without her earnings i couldn't have done that what with los finacial commitments too..... its all transparent anyway, everyone has a different approach/angenda.

Archived