Photo contest October online

khunsanuk

I like the mini portfolio idea of OH, that way you could enter your best pics rather than the ones that sorta fit the theme. Moving on to themes I agree there aren't many real character shots, IMO many would be better described as portraits, but having said that the real character shots are getting a decent vote.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had trouble deciding, and obviously made the wrong choices

--------------------------

exactly the same here. I made the mistake to once again enter a shot that was a real compo (a friend photographer coaxed me into it, not NP member though), and it diluted interest, though I'll challenge anyone to tell me the subject does not have on-topic facial expression. The funny thing is, you realize your mistake as soon as the contest starts, it becomes limpid in a sec. and you slap yourself for not entering 2 of the dozen shots of old thai ladies (after I opened the door for them, of course! :)) you gathered over the years ::.

Also, for next month, let's be really precise, too many pix this month are not showing a face, and that's fine, but if one of them was running high, i'd be mad.

I see also that like last month, shots have been doing steady consolidation, and then, the impression this morning that some guys wait to see, and play one, up a lot, against the other, down a lot. Just an impression i may be wrong. Let's be fair, guys, it's only a game, but it's not fun anymore if it gets skewed by calculations.

From what I see, none of the 6 or 7 first pix deserve to be apart from just a few points in anyone's opinion. At this point a jump of 0,25 means either voting down 1 or 2 or voting up 10 or 9 for a shot. Last is OK, but a low note on any of the top runners is not fair.

This time, i did not vote severely, only one shot got 4 pts, there was just nothing of the theme in it, and no humour as well. all the others are within 3 pts.

There are ways to correct intentional low voting and manipulation.

1. Don't post results of voting until the contest is finished.

or

2. Don't allow a person to see "real time" results until the person has voted on ALL of the photos.

or

3. As is done in some sports competitions involving subjective judging, throw out the top and bottom scores given to an entrant/entry.

or

4.Consult with a statistician to devise a formula which corrects for over/under "errors". (Pollsters can do this when determining a "margin of error" and sometimes accurately predict a "winner".

Further, I don't want to hear any more whining, sniveling, or crying. If I'd been allowed to enter a picture that showed epidermal tissue which is incorporated into an areola, I would've won at least a bottle of Red Bull in last month's competition and a friggin truckload of Beer Lao this month!!! :)

Just so you know what you would've been up against, here's a clue. (Yeah...she did "turn over" :: )

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/hughhoy/cco1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/hughhoy/cco2.jpg

Now that is truely art! Well not Art as in aman's name, a man with tis would be gay...oh fuck it, she's hot...anyway voting yes...

Maybe NOT allow us to vote for our own, maybe only allow 3 votes, so we have to decide which 3 win in our mind...or a point score, 1 set of points for How well it relates to the theame, 1 set for technical ability, 1 for composition etc... how ever...

Frankly, I think the idea of not being allowed to vote for our own (which I do, because I am petty, egotistical, and want to win), and limiting the votes to 3 is the best way, might prevent ties, and the idea up up voting one and down voting another (something I also do, see above*).

In any event, there are 2 clear cut winner's in my book, third place is still a big question, a few good ones...in any event, I am losing miserably, and hence will go off an pout, and proclaim that if you don't like my art, I will never enter another contest...boo hoo...whine, sulk blah blah..

The only problem with only being allowed to vote for 3 pics is the best few pics will get all the votes and many will not get a vote at all, this will put a lot of people off entering their pics in the first place, not good! we need more entries not less. I think hiding the scores untill the end of the voting would be good. Also show all entries on one page if possible, some don't get seen as easily as others, but it's only a bit of fun isn't it? ::

Yep pe7e,

Agree with you and don't think the 3 vote idea is a good one, but not being able to see the final score untill the last day is a good idea.

Hugh Hoy,

beautifull pix and a beautifull lady, but why does she have white paper in front of her in the wrong places? :doah:

Old Hippie said:

Yeah, I see the point of the 3 votes, maybe make it more, like 5? the idea is that you couldn't vote some up, and the rest down...

I can visualize some contestant voting for his, then using the other four votes to vote for one he doesn't think stand a chance. (Or, not even using the other 4 votes.) If everybody did this, the pictures that should've won will not even place in the top 5 for a "run-off" LOL !

Archived