Photo contest October online

khunsanuk

Well yeah, but we limited the scoring for the writing contest, and it did o.k. maybe lower the score fromn a 10 to a 5? In any event, it is always a fun contest...I'm not really sure the scoring is that big of a problem, though last time I did see some guys voting I never see posting on the boar...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

I haven't seen much, if any, movement in the scores the past 2 days. I doubt anyone is voting now. I do think we need to hype the contests a lot more on the rest of the board. I like the idea of placing an ad for the contest in the header of the board that shows on every page or at least the front page. I also think hiding the scores until the contest is over would be a great way to stop any manipulation as well in the scoring. But KS says it isn't possible to do? If we can hide the totals of a poll why can't this hide the totals for the votes? Any way to get around this? I also like making it so that your votes won't be counted unless you vote for all the pics entered. Seems only those who enter the pics and a few others do any voting. More votes by those not entered would likely make the voting much more fair and even. We need to get others interested and voting. There are some great pics in there. Can guests vote?

Cent

Yeah, the idea is to tell a story or a report using the pictures...maybe some captions...as I did with my posts on tatoos and going to Angkor Wat over land (2 of the best post ever to grace this board) the idea is to really tell a story about a place, leave the theame open. This would make a series of really good reports for later use. Frankly, I like pictures in reports and posts. I don't do more of them because I am trite and petty and want to save them all for the contests. :)

Problem I see is how to do this? PM with the photos hosted by Photobucket or who ever? en email, with the photos attatched? Text to be filled in around them?

In any event, I will work with ND and KS on this. Since it would be a "special contest" then we would need special prizes...in any event, we can discuss this all again, and decide how we will do it...in the mean time, we need to hype this up...

Hi,

"If we can hide the totals of a poll why can't this hide the totals for the votes?"

Different pieces of software.

"Can guests vote?"

No, and that definitely has to stay that way. I can just see the amount of fraude possible if we allow guests to vote.

Sanuk!

the portfolio is a good idea, indeed, but the problem will be participation (akin to KS having to ask hard to get the 2nd writing contest on). Few venture out of the beaten path, and in those, how many take shots that add up to a dedicated overview of the place they went to? Worth trying though, may I suggest any subject is open, even your hometown in FarangLand, or a no-info but a humourous piece on lower Suk at night, for example.

<<2 of the dozen shots of old thai ladies>>

Which was what I was suspecting when youfirst nminated the idea!

I like everyone voting, as if just 3 storis, someone quick fingured will loose there ability to vote.

Hiding the voting could be done if we ran the voting as a poll KS?

No idea how to do a 1 - 10 vote though

DOG

when youfirst nminated the idea

--------------------------------------

but not really with any shots of mine in mind, as I've got shots of any idea nominated (and not nominated yet!), but I must say every month I have no idea which one to post until I really look intently in my folders. Not a whole lot for characters, truly (more if it was portraits).

same with temples, i have dozens, still not many too exciting as a shot, more like archival cultural stuff. Hope to find a pearl.

not a bad idea, still i fear the going from gallery to main board to vote, having to take the pain to use memory or pen to earmark the 2 or 3 we are allowed to vote for, might be too much for 99,99% of the membership.

For the views on the current contest pix, I bet 3 or 4 members share half of them, as we read the new answers to replies, or just get another look at the pix. I certainly looked 2 or 3 times at the most popular ones. Of course, chicks, who are not faring too well, points wise, have the most views, and i bet, the least votes.

edit: I have to take that word "bet" out of my vocabulary. I don't like it anymore! :(........ ;)

Archived