surge protector/UPS necessary?

iuytrede

Should I use a surge protector and/or uninterruptible power supply with my PC?

I am in BKK, have a power outage maybe once or twice a month, use Windows XP professional and don't have any data on my PC that I could not afford to lose, I just worry about damage to the PC itself, especially the hardware (not the data).

And would a stand-by (as opposed to on-line) power system be good enough?

IMO a surge protector is absolutely essential in LOS, especially in rainy season. Unless your unsaved data is important to you or it is essential you can continue to use your computer during a power outage a UPS is an expensive luxury.

Hi,

I agree with pe7e. It is very common that there is a slight 'glitch' on the power grid. TV, fan, lights, etc all keep working, but without a UPS / surge protector your PC will likely reset. May not be that harmfull, but sure is bloody annoying.

I have a UPS (lasts maybe 5 minutes if the power goes out, long enough to save and shut down) and it only cost me something like 2,000 Baht (I think, it's been a while). Well worth it I think.

Sanuk!

second short-time's comments.

Power supplies these days are pretty good. Surge protectors don't really add much value at all. The difference between an expensive surge protector and a cheap one is really nil.

For a home PC, a UPS isn't necessary in my opinion. The computer just shuts down. Nice to have, but not necessary.

I think grounding is of much more importance. If your stuff is hot after you plug things in, you may want to do some grounding.

<<burp>>

I use a ups on my office computer, hooked in some large ( 22 ah batteries) externally.

if the power goes out ( phones usually still work) I can run my system ( and office lite) for over 6 hours)

drives the other ppl in the area nuts when they see my lite on and the rest of the area is blackout

Archived