Somchart Thai Schoooool Soi 11??

Old Hippie

Don't use it is my advice because the witch who owns it not only rips off customers when she can, but also the teachers who work there, 'forgetting' how many hours they worked overtime. She calls herself 'chutima' but that's not her real name, she uses the name of a relative as she's paranoid the tax man is going to catch up with her. I am told that's also why she moved from soi 19 to soi 11, that and the fact she never paid the rent at soi 19 on time. The girls all hate her and she makes their lives as miserable as she can.

I found learning in a room with several others distracting and it can be difficult to get the teacher you prefer or any lessons at all if you are a visitor, they seem to come last. She did me for 6,000 baht. If you must go get the bitch to write down everything esp how long you have to complete

OH

I have over the years heard similar accounts from several different posters to the same tune as Paul101.

It might be a good idea to limit how large a block of time you buy at a time to cover your tracks.

I can't say there were any irregularities in my billing, even when I was gone for 6 weeks.

But I have also heard teachers speaking of Chutima as being a witch.

On the upside, It was a good location for me.

The price didn't faze me.

I was able to get the teacher I wanted Most of the time, if I remained flexible in my schedule. If you've ever had to arrange schedules involving multiple variables you know what kind of a nightmare it can be.

Chutima has set up a study system where if you have acquired the minimum amount of spoken vocabulary you will advance to language study where you are exposed to reading, listening, reading and writing so that all 4 of the main study approaches are covered.

Typically for me a lesson would go something like:

Review previous chapter,

-Teacher reads material student listens,

- Student reads the material, teacher listens and

corrects when necessary

- New material is introduced; teacher reads

student listens

- Student reads teacher listens and corrects.

- Teacher dictates and student tries his damndest

to write it out in Thai.

- Homework is assigned; read x times, and

write out the entirety of the next lesson X times.

- Teacher takes student out back and finishes him with a BJ .... ooops no errr ok that was just a fantasy.

You can choose how many hours of study you want per day and how many days you want to study a week. So some choose to do an hour of reading/writing followed by an hour of conversation practice.

Lessons are not necessarily regimented, they will encourage you to move forward with the lesson, but If you have questions or seem tired with the study they are happy to chat the rest of your hour away.

I found Chutima and the teachers to be flexible to accommodate the different way I wanted to study.

And most of the teachers not only seemed experienced in teaching but specifically working with ferang learning Thai as a second language.

I have given up expecting any kind of idealized learning experience. Any books or people that help me move forward in my studies is a good thing. And I am foolishly happy to throw down a chunk of change for that.

I?m sure there?s a better school out there, wherever you choose to study I would really really like to read a report/review if you have the time.

P.S. The teachers really should get a little better pay. Not sure what their making in compare to the average school teacher.

Pom_Jao_Choo said:

Chutima has set up a study system where if you have acquired the minimum amount of spoken vocabulary you will advance to language study where you are exposed to reading, listening, reading and writing so that all 4 of the main study approaches are covered.

Typically for me a lesson would go something like:

Review previous chapter,

-

I?m sure there?s a better school out there, wherever you choose to study I would really really like to read a report/review if you have the time.

P.S. The teachers really should get a little better pay. Not sure what their making in compare to the average school teacher.

The basic for somchart teachers is not much higher than school teachers plus they MUST work whenever chutima demands, overtime is, or was compulsary. Made a date to go out in the evening? too bad if chutima gets an outcall you will have to cancel. One teacher who has worked there 7 years gets paid so little that she has to supplement her income by working at a thai massage every night (traditional).

I found it better to have the teacher coming to your your room, but somchart is very expensive for that, luckily I now get free lessons :D Chutima stole all her teaching ideas from the school she originally worked at, I think she added the drawings in the books though!

I know, somebody keeps chucking me off :( I have heard from three other people though who handed over x thousands of baht and had a few lessons only to be told on the next holiday that the time had run out and that they would have to pay again if they wanted any more lessons :: ::

paul101 said:

The basic for somchart teachers is not much higher than school teachers plus they MUST work whenever chutima demands, overtime is, or was compulsary. Made a date to go out in the evening? too bad if chutima gets an outcall you will have to cancel. One teacher who has worked there 7 years gets paid so little that she has to supplement her income by working at a thai massage every night (traditional).

I found it better to have the teacher coming to your your room, but somchart is very expensive for that, luckily I now get free lessons :D Chutima stole all her teaching ideas from the school she originally worked at, I think she added the drawings in the books though!

Well honestly Paul101 if their getting the same or slightly better wages as other teachers then that is what the market demands. Even if she is serving Ferang who pay much higher wages she is meeting the market average. Employees are always jealouse when they see their employers bottom line. But there's nothing stopping a group of teachers from taking the initiative and undercutting her bottom line with their own school. And it sounds like if their sly about it they can manage a few privates ont the side.

Allso theres nothing stoping students from tiping their favourite teacher once in a while, we tip BG's for good service, maybe just slip your teacher an extra 500 at the end of the month, tell her to buy herself dinner and see if she smiles.

As far as theft of learning material goes, I couldn't give a damn where it comes from. Like music being passed from one musician to another we all steal ideas from each other. What is important here is "MY" learning experience. If other schools have copyright issues with her they are free to persue that on their own.

Yes you can always argue market forces to defend low wages but I'm sure those at the receiving end don't feel any happier knowing. I did see one post a while back claiming a thai teacher was earning 1,000 baht an hour yet I suppose you could say she was meeting the market average as well, whatever that is.

Chutima would sack any teacher on the spot if she knew they were teaching on the side, cheats them when she can, makes unreasonable demands and sets harsh working conditions. Victorian mill owners argued they were were bound to follow the market and could not afford to pay more or improve working conditions, it's just an excuse of course.

Employees should not have to depend on tips to improve low wages from customers already paying (by thai standards) an amount which should allow for far higher wages, if the owner was not so greedy. Setting up their own school needs funds which they cannot aford on their pay levels, so the best trachers tend to leave and go freelance.

I still find it odd I got taught most of my Thai in Australia at a cheaper rate and better teacher than any I've met in Bangkok.

None of the "lets fleece the Farang".

400 Baht an hour, girl was Thai student who was very smart, wanted part time job, same or better than she'd get as a waitress.

One to one, she had lesson plans, tapes everything, very proffessional!

Think the prices here are insane

DOG

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"I have over the years heard similar accounts from several different posters to the same tune as Paul101."

Actually, I think that many of those may actually have been the same poster ;)

Sanuk!

Yeah, I thought the use of "witch" and "bitch" seemed familiar...

I went to Somchart a few years ago, over a couple of months and had no problems. Interesting to hear that a long-term teacher is also a masseuse!

Archived