debts

FAT_AUSSIE

Hi,

The story confused me (I am old and slow, ok?). If the deed was in your wife's name, how was it possible for the brother or whoever use it for a loan at the bank?

A bank which gives out a loan to the non-owner of the deed can be sued, or the brother owns the land and the house is sitting on the land without a spearate deed? :: I noticed your writing about asking the bank why they laone 100K for the land, so it is the land they used for the loan, not the house?

If you could clarify this issue for me I would appreciate it. I always like to keep the knowledge of Thailand's land law current, I find it fascinating. My brother who is a lawyer find the land law of Thailand simply screwed up. :(

Jasmine

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jasmine,

It is a confusing story.

The land was in my wife's mothers name at the time the loan was made. When my wife went up there at that time she got the new Tabien Baan for our house. Not really sure why she was summoned up to the village unless she had to sign something for the loan.

If not then she was up there for the committee meeting. One reason why I am not too angry with my wife is that I realized she was under a lot of pressure from her family to help her poor sisiter. After all my wife is so lucky.

Some posters are talking about how I got screwed . The Family has always been really great especially Ma and Pa.

This was the only bad thing to happen They are hard working people who have never asked for anything.

Now the part about the sister buying a motorcycle instead of paying off the loan really got me. But it was very Thai . A perfect example of the concept of face. Had to show something after working in Taiwan for 6 months. And the Mai Pen Rai attitude of we will worry about the loan later.

LL

sounds like a major headache LL, I'm happy to hear you come through on top...

sounds like simmillar shit that many Thai girls and thier familys put on us farangs, I guess helping out family is a big part of Thai culture but after all the run around buying himself a motorbike was what I would feel is a slap in the face...

I guess in my situation where my wife has gone and taken the house to pay of her fathers tractor, given the house is 25-30km out of town and Uttaradit at that, my thinking is that nobody with the money to buy the house would want to live there and anyone living there allready would not have the money to buy the house, that is if things really came to the crunch.

However I think the debt would be easily covered by the old mans freehold tractor!!! the way I see it now is: to hell with the house, she can burn it, sink it, fly it to the moon for all I give a fuck. I just want to at the end of the day walk away and take up my cosy little life here in Aus. I don't want her or her pisshead family's debts running me around the countryside.

[color:"blue"] A perfect example of the concept of face. [/color]

First, thanks for the explanation.

The concept of face is not for every Thai, but for most Thais. I met a woman who would not go to Thailand until she could save certain money to feed the whole village, down right stupid to me. Why? Those people neve helped her on anything when it was real bad for her and the family, who cares what they think? ::

It used to be the talk of the town that I was not as good as a person who used to sell the body because they could see no improvement of my Thai family's and that was 40 years ago. We neve paid attention and those days the materials were not pushed in your face with the media as nowadays. :: I cannot believe the talks that so and so sends the family how much,,,,,blah blah...blah, unbeleivable. ::

I have a cousin who is now in Florida who was working in a factory and did freelance when she met her 1st of 4 husbands who would not go to Thailand unless she could show off certain amount of wealth. So she goes every 5-6 years or so, sadly her father and mother (my aunt) passed away without seeing much of her.

Materialism becomes really alarming to me for most Thais, sad, methinks. :(

Jasmine

Materialism becomes really alarming to me for most Thais, sad, methinks

IMHO nothing wrong with Materialism and even "face", but the degree practiced by some (and of course not only in Thailand) is more than just sad, I would say "pathetic and infantile". ::

IMHO it's really on the same level as the "mine is better / bigger than yours" type of stuff that even children LEARN to grow out of.

i know what you mean. i would never go on a public forum and tell the whole world i used to make 25000$ in 3. 5 months. the nerve of some people. many thai people cant even count that high.

[color:"blue"] know what you mean. i would never go on a public forum and tell the whole world i used to make 25000$ in 3. 5 months. the nerve of some people. many thai people cant even count that high.

[/color]

It is ME who wrote that in the context (perhaps I wrote a little too complicately for certain people) that it is not that great amount of money to give to your wife or the love one. :: The man built the house and to build just a simple house nowadays in Thailand, $25,000 = 1 MBaht is not much, barely covers a simple house with 3 bedrooms/1 baht in most places in Thailand.

Of course, I have nerves, more than you can imagine, now what is really your problem, state it clearly in English please? :worship: Is it the amount that I stated I made or you just can't stand a Thai born woman who could made that amount? In my profession as a computer scientist/manager with multiple degrees and of 35 years experience, that amount was quite normal, Hubby who also was one in the same company, he made more than that amount.

How many Thai people have you met anyhow? Never heard of an asset in the value of 300-1000M Baht or more that some Thais have? We do know how to count. Too bad that the Thais you have met could not count. :D Not that I am not ashamed of the Thai education system.

Jasmine :D

Jasmine-----with nerves :)

Guest lazyphil

<<My brother who is a lawyer >>

Off topic a little bit, knowing your perfectly justifiable opinion of prostitution, i.e. bad news--i've asked my cousins husband who is one how it feels to make money defending (to get a lighter sentence or get off the hook!) someone he knows has committed rape or murder etc even though deep down he knows he should not be walking the same streets as his daughter.....he says ?its just business?....kind of like a hookers answer :: which is the less moral career choice?

Archived