debts

FAT_AUSSIE

". i would never go on a public forum and tell the whole world i used to make 25000$ in 3. 5 months"

Neither would I. Would feel so horribly ashamed. Woke up a friend at 7am on saturday morning to borrow that almost exact amount (1 000 000baht) as I was running short of cash.

Seriously not an income that'll make someone a high flyer and it really sucks to keep low profile becoz most people have no clue on how to make a decent living and become envious/jealous

I like the way well off bangkokian show off... but what was that thread about anyway???

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"but if my part of the capitalist pie dried up and their were no other "real" opportuntities for me (I am not counting a Mcjob here), I would have zero hesitation (moral or otherwise) in claiming / obtaining my "share" of the pie from any source I could and in WHATEVER manner I saw fit.

I would certainly not be sitting on my arse thinking it is all part of the Great Plan of a higher being or thinking "it is just one of those things" and that I will therefore have to accept my new place. "

good post!

Glad for society lots of people have no clue about entrepreneurship and they will keep up with their sheepish life. I also think crime and prostitution offer better prospects (if more risks) than dead end low wages jobs.

Reminds me some studies about motivation of the human beeings. It seems people for the most part react more to the scare to lose something than to the possibility to gain.

I guess enrepreneurs would react the other way around, hence no surprise they're such a minority - and reap so many benefits ::

"I KNOW that their is no real reason why some people are poorer than others, it's not natural selection"

David,

this last part is less sure though, call it natural selection for one part and maybe education the other but they are obvious reasons why all people can't get the same success. Intelectual and physical abilities are different. I kindda think you'd find better ways to make it than transiting drugs (ON YOURSELF) through Singapore or beat up to death a stranger to steal his miserable wallet. Some people on a smarter track as well will give up when faced with more or less serious issues and will get back on the line.

For the big part we get what we deserve - although it's prolly more true in the West than in develloping countries

Crime and prostitution offer better prospect than low wage dead end jobs maybe, but for the few. I can't really see many thughs in thailand or Europe that will make it.

I don't think anyone should look down on anyone regardless of what they do. None of us is better or worse than anyone else.

Nonetheless i don't think anyone would actually see prostitution as a career choice or as something that is desirable to do.

How many of us would be happy to see our daughters as prostitutes? I don't think anyone could truly say yes to this one.

Given options most people would never consider it. Further if women were aware of all the potential pitfalls most would not even consider it as an option regardless of the financial benefits.

We do however live in a society that is structured on economics and that means making money. Those with low education levels and low skill levels will always be ripe for exploitation and that group of people is most definitely highly represented amongst prostitutes.

i've asked my cousins husband who is one how it feels to make money defending (to get a lighter sentence or get off the hook!) someone he knows has committed rape or murder etc even though deep down he knows he should not be walking the same streets as his daughter.....he says ?its just business?....kind of like a hookers answer which is the less moral career choice?

Phil,

I agree with you when it comes about the morality of prostitution. There is nothing immoral about it. But the same goes for being a lawyer. I have never understood arguments about the (lack of) morality of a lawyer defending a murderer or a rapist. In a state of law, everybody is entitled to have representation. Without it, we would only have vigilante justice. Forget about proving somebody is guilty.

If a lawyer gets a murderer off, it simply means the police or the prosecutor didn't do their job right. IMO, a lawyer would be immoral if he wouldn't do his best to defend the rapist/murderer.

Random,

I was in a bit of a funny mood when I posted (me hormones?! ::).

"Intelectual and physical abilities are different" - I think I know what you are saying and I would find it hard to disagree totally, but I tend to operate like Miss Marple and relate things back to my own "village". In my case I have worked with plenty of people (on fairly good / good money) who are essentially as dumb as f#ck. Actually works to my advantage as it generates me plenty of work and "In the land of the Blind the one eyed man is King" :o:D

IMHO it's the education thing that is the most important factor, not just bits of paper, but more from having been around a bit and KNOWING that things can be better and that all folk with more money / a better life are not somehow better or have been "blessed" with special gifts.

Having said that their are of course lots of folk around who are rich because they are very brainy - but it isn't all of them.

Unfortunately I don't fall into the rich category, through sheer laziness. But as they say, "I get by". From my experiance when you have an easy gravy train to feed off, it kinda suppresses the "Entrepenurial" urge. In my case probably quite fortunately. In my early earlier days I was going down a very Entrepenurial path. :D But enuf about that.

Maybe next year. ::

Archived