George W Bush: welcome to reality

Tiger Moth

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this.

From the Associated Press and W's address to the American public:

"No more rosy scenarios. After watching his credibility and approval ratings crumble over the course of 2005,

President Bush completed a rhetorical shift Sunday night by abandoning his everything-is-OK pitch to Americans and coming clean: He was wrong about the rationale for going to war in Iraq; he underestimated the dangers; the country has suffered "terrible loss"; and the bad news isn't over.".

In reading comments here and elsewhere, it has seemed obvious that citizens of other countries and informed US citizens have known for a long time what W seems to have just come to grips with (or decided to be truthful about). What went unmentioned is that his decisons have caused a great deal of animosity towards the US and created a haven for terrorists.

So, how could a US President have been more incompetent than W? How could he have been re-elected President having performed so arrogantly and incompetently? Is his admission supposed to result in an improved "approval of performance" by the American people and a belief that he is competent to lead the United States of America? And, why have the people who led him down this path (Rumsfeld, Cheney) continued to receive his votes of confidence and in fact been praised for their work?

Comments

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please feel free to enlighten me about Tony Blair, following my impressions as follows:

I had read that after Bill Clinton became President, Tony Blair visited Washington and was tutored by Clinton's political strategists. He found success using these strategies and became fast friends with Clinton who was subsequently something of a mentor.

Clinton in my view is apparently a brilliant man with substantial insight into appropriate courses of action but his main interest was always his own advancement and popularity. I am not sure to the degree Blair and Clinton are the same in this respect.

With Bush succeeding Clinton, Blair apparently decided it was in his interest to continue the close ties with the US and to adopt positions where necessary to retain these close ties.

Apparently your method of government is quite different in that Bush is not at all accountable and only need to have the occasionally press conference but, Blair must appear before other elected officials and explain and argue for positions he is taking. I have seen on TV a number of occasions when Blair has had to do so. And, I have been impressed with is intellect and "debating" skills.

So, I am much more impressed with Blair than I am with Bush.

Watch as GWB gets his honourary knighthood when he leaves office -- same same Bill Clinton and I think GHW Bush. Seems to be the practice these days to knight American presidents. Strikes me as a bit ridiculous, considering that little spat back between 1775-1783.

Then again, if Mick Jagger can become a knight and Elton John a dame, I suppose it makes as much sense as anything these days.

Archived