Foriegners not being able to buy land.........

whcouncill

How many of us have headaches reading this thread?

I give credit to Cent for his recommendation in regards to renting versus owning.

For those who are married, there seems to be the nagging issue of geting kicked out the door once a house is purchased/built. This seems to be more of a trust issue with the person you have married then anything else. Selecting a better partner might resolve that issue.

Gadfly1 makes sense in falangs wanting to buy land in only certain areas. True, some falangs want to be in areas where middle class Thais reside, but for the most part, most falangs stay in areas where other falangs stay.

As for land ownership, a 99 yeqar lease is very close to ownership. I do not see falangs leasing huge amounts of land for agriculture purposes. The Thais seem to do this (agriculture) better and cheaper then falangs can. Leasing land in developed areas where falangs like to holiday does seem to be where falangs lease land. Outside of this area, very little if any land gets lease.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nervous_Dog said:

So - again, we all think that western countries are so much more enlightened than Thailand, have a look at Australia, and don;t believe me, believe Fiigjam for all his good research,

It doesn't get through, does it?

Let's try to make it easier to understand:

What can a foreign tourist buy and own in his name?

In Thailand:

- a condo provided that he can prove that the money needed for the purchase comes from abroad and provided that the units owned by foreigners in the building he is buying into do not exceed the 49% of the total.

In Australia:

- a condo provided that it's newer than 6 months OR an older than 6 months condo provided that he invests at least 50% of the original property cost on improvements or additional construction

- a house provided that it's newer than 6 months OR an older than 6 months house provided that he invests at least 50% of the original property cost on improvements or additional construction

- land provided that he starts building his house within 12 months from the purchase

What can a temporary resident buy and own in his name?

In Thailand:

- a condo provided that he can prove that the money needed for the purchase comes from abroad and provided that the units owned by foreigners in the building he is buying into do not exceed the 49% of the total.

In Australia:

- a condo provided that it's newer than 6 months OR an older than 6 months condo provided that it's his residence

- a house provided that it's newer than 6 months OR an older than 6 months house provided that it's his residence

- land provided that he starts building his house within 12 months from the purchase

What can a permanent resident buy and own in his name?

In Thailand:

- a condo provided that the units owned by foreigners in the building he is buying into do not exceed the 49% of the total.

In Australia:

- a condo without any limitation or condition

- a house without any limitation or condition

- land without any limitation or condition

Now, since you have conveniently forgot to answer:

In whose name are the land and the house you are building in Thailand?

If the parts were reversed and you and your wife were to buy land in OZ and building there "your pretty dam palatial neo resort place" could your Thai wife have the land and the house in her name? Could you in Thailand?

And to top it off: in your posts to Cent in this very thread you seem pretty bothered by the fact that a bloke who lives in Thailand and doesn't want to marry but wants to own some land and build his own house is (to use your terminology) "farked".

And in Australia? He just shows up, buys his land and builds his house...

Cut the bullshit, Nervous_Dog.

Bangkoktraveler said:

For those who are married, there seems to be the nagging issue of geting kicked out the door once a house is purchased/built. This seems to be more of a trust issue with the person you have married then anything else. Selecting a better partner might resolve that issue.

Very true. But of course if you have a merely competent laywer in LoS, you can have your name of any piece of property you buy with your wife. I do, not because I do not trust Mrs Tiger (far from it and anyway this was her idea), but to save any heartaches later on if something happens to one of us. Very similar to having a will -- you do not have to have one, but it is a good idea.

Anyway, Thai law will allow a foreigner to be on a land deed with the rider that if the a) marriage is disolved, or B) the Thai spouse dies, then the foreigner has 30 days to transfer the ownership of the property (since he cannot own it outright).

Cheers,

SD

<<Now, since you have conveniently forgot to answer:

In whose name are the land and the house you are building in Thailand? >>

No I didn't, as discussedd with Cent it's in Wife and childs name.

However you seem particularly stooopid, so let me spell (5 5 5 5 5) it out for you.

My arguement is simple,

The complaint is that "I can;t come here and buy a house if I want too"

Pretty simple,

It's also been noted they should let us farangs buy house if we want too becuase it's good for the economy etc"

And thirdly, "all the western countries let you do it, why not Thailand"

These are the arguements.

My counter is that it is NOT as simple to buy a house in Farangland and used your own well reseearched points to prove it, thank you again!

Before we all blindly start critizing Thailand for prohibiting house ownership by non residents, lets look at what YOUR country does.

I personally was too lazy to check Australian laws and regulations, I thank you again for providing me the proof that Australia not only restricts and discourages house ownership, in some areas it WORSE than Thailand!

So re-reading your own post, I don;t think you quite realize just how much you prove my point

People here are complaining that they can't "Come and buy a house" usually to stay in during holidays etc.

It's NOT about Perm residents, the only area of your arguement that makes Australia substantially stronger than Thailand.

It's about ANYONE being able to do it.

Thanks again for proving my point, I seriously hope your not from Queensland, not I haven't sunk to your pathetic level of name calling, would be cruel to do so when your being so kind to prove my point against you with excellant research!

Thanks

DOG

You are the perfect example of the farang being screwed by the Thais and happily telling his fellow farang onlookers how gently the Thais are shoveling their smiling dicks up his ass...

You are surreal.

Nervous_Dog said:

<<Now, since you have conveniently forgot to answer:

In whose name are the land and the house you are building in Thailand? >>

No I didn't, as discussedd with Cent it's in Wife and childs name.

Yes you did because I asked you twice: if the parts were reversed and you and your wife were to buy land in OZ and building there "your pretty dam palatial neo resort place" could your Thai wife have the land and the house in her name? THE ANSWER WHICH YOU ARE ASHAMED TO GIVE ME IS "YES, SHE COULD". Could you in Thailand? THE ANSWER WHICH YOU ARE ASHAMED TO GIVE ME IS "NO, I COULDN'T".

However you seem particularly stooopid, so let me spell (5 5 5 5 5) it out for you.

And you let this particularly stooopid FIGJAM spell it out for you:

I am not the one who is signing off his life savings to his wife. I am not the one who has to rely on his wife continuing to love him to have a roof on his head.

My arguement is simple,

The complaint is that "I can;t come here and buy a house if I want too"

Pretty simple,

It's also been noted they should let us farangs buy house if we want too becuase it's good for the economy etc"

And thirdly, "all the western countries let you do it, why not Thailand"

These are the arguements.

My counter is that it is NOT as simple to buy a house in Farangland and used your own well reseearched points to prove it, thank you again!

"as simple" AS WHAT????

Foreign house ownership in Thailand is prohibited and in the western countries is allowed.

Wake up and smell the bullshit you are spewing.

Before we all blindly start critizing Thailand for prohibiting house ownership by non residents, lets look at what YOUR country does.

That's exactly what I have done, thank you. The one blindly defending Thailand and blindly criticizing his homecountry's laws with, ADMITTEDLY, NO IDEA about what they are, is YOU.

I personally was too lazy to check Australian laws and regulations, I thank you again for providing me the proof that Australia not only restricts and discourages house ownership, in some areas it WORSE than Thailand!

Firstly, the subject of this thread is ownership of land and anyone from tourists to permanent residents can own land in Australia while no one from tourists to permanent residents can own land in Thailand.

Secondly, in which areas of house ownership is OZ worse than Thailand? Anyone from tourists to permanent residents can own a house in Australia while no one from tourists to permanent residents can own a house in Thailand

So re-reading your own post, I don;t think you quite realize just how much you prove my point

I see... :rotfl:

People here are complaining that they can't "Come and buy a house" usually to stay in during holidays etc.

No Nervous_Dog, the biggest and most serious complaint, which touches the area of the basic human rights, is from the guys with a Thai family/spouse who would want to buy AND OWN the house their family live in.

You should know, you are one of those SOL in this position...

It's NOT about Perm residents, the only area of your arguement that makes Australia substantially stronger than Thailand.

Of course it isn't, in Thailand being so damned tough to get permanent residency...

Let's see your case: living in Thailand, holding a Thai work permit, working in Thailand, paying taxes in Thailand, married to a Thai citizen, father of Thai citizens. Do you have permanent residency Nervous_Dog?

And WTF do you mean by "the only area of your arguement that makes Australia substantially stronger than Thailand"?

Permanent residents are, by Australian laws, indistinguishable from Australians, for Christ sake!

Australia is worlds apart regarding tourists (who can own condo, house and land, in LOS only condo).

Australia is worlds apart regarding temporary residents (who can own condo, house and land, in LOS only condo).

Australia is worlds apart regarding permanent residents (who can own condo, house and land, in LOS only condo and it's almost impossible to get permanent residency anyway).

It's about ANYONE being able to do it.

And in fact in Australia ANYONE can own land and a house.

In Thailand NO ONE can own land and a house.

Thanks again for proving my point, I seriously hope your not from Queensland,

Don't worry, I am from Italy where even those OZ minor restrictions which bother you so much (sour grapes) don't apply.

The rest of the Western Europe, the North America and even your NZ neighbours are practically the same.

not I haven't sunk to your pathetic level of name calling

You mean something like "However you seem particularly stooopid, so let me spell (5 5 5 5 5) it out for you."?

would be cruel to do so when your being so kind to prove my point against you with excellant research!

I wish your Thai friend holidaying in Australia to enjoy his house and his land in your homecountry and I wish you to enjoy your wife's house and your wife's land in the country you are living, working and paying taxes in.

Ciao bello.

Man at Work said:

I would not go that far, but why do we have a fight in every single thread you participate in???

It may be because I have strong opinions and even stronger arguments to support them and don't usually let it go when I am being feeded groundless, disinformed, ignorant crap.

And this is Man at Work's only contribution to this thread so far.

Figjam, your writing while well researched is so full of inaccuracies and blatent insults and name calling it makes arguing with you moot.

However shall we do ti ONE MORE TIME just for you seeing as your particularly dullwitted. I'm only doing this as your so kind to provide me with all your own arguements against yourself that it makes it pretty easy, but rather long.

<<You are the perfect example of the farang being screwed by the Thais and happily telling his fellow farang onlookers how gently the Thais are shoveling their smiling dicks up his ass...

You are surreal. >>

Thank you, I rather like Salvador Daliesque moments myself, however the surreality comes from your own blinkered approach to arguements.

Lets see the above and deconstruct them shall as you seem to have a preleriction for 80's Art speak.

Hmmm . . . . the tingling sensation of those thai dicks is quite lovely, but I think I'm the one doing most of the screwing. Besides, so what if it's in my wife and daughter name? $15 000 is not a lot to buy a large house and two farms, and leave to them if I die tomorrow (No wishfull thinking now Fugjam)

<<Yes you did because I asked you twice: if the parts were reversed and you and your wife were to buy land in OZ and building there "your pretty dam palatial neo resort place">>

Mute point, couldn;t affor dthat in Aus!

<< could your Thai wife have the land and the house in her name? THE ANSWER WHICH YOU ARE ASHAMED TO GIVE ME IS "YES, SHE COULD". >>

Why would I be ashamedd of that? Seems a silly concept n your part, but then I guess not.

<<Could you in Thailand? THE ANSWER WHICH YOU ARE ASHAMED TO GIVE ME IS "NO, I COULDN'T". >>

Correct, thereby proving my point, which is it's hard to own land ANYWHERE you are not a resident or citizen.

<<I am not the one who is signing off his life savings to his wife. I am not the one who has to rely on his wife continuing to love him to have a roof on his head.>>

Err - it's a weekend retreat sweet Fugjam, given I have a rather nice two story condo in Bangkok, Cent;s been there and a few others, not likely I have to rely upon the wife for that!

But really, all the above seems, so . . . . desperate and personal?

"as simple" AS WHAT????

Foreign house ownership in Thailand is prohibited and in the western countries is allowed.

Wake up and smell the bullshit you are spewing.

Hmmm - To think I have lovely orchids in the house today as well. OK Fugjam, again, as YOU SAID, QUotING YOU!!!!!

(Dam you make this SO easy! Thank yoU!)

<<- a condo provided that it's newer than 6 months OR an older than 6 months condo provided that he invests at least 50% of the original property cost on improvements or additional construction

- a house provided that it's newer than 6 months OR an older than 6 months house provided that he invests at least 50% of the original property cost on improvements or additional construction

- land provided that he starts building his house within 12 months from the purchase >>

End of the excellant research from Fujgam showing that you CANT just own a house or condo in Austrlia, the are rules and regulations to make it diffficult etc.

ALSO Fijgam, please remember I can walk off a plane and buy a condo, no renovations required, older than 6 months old,

AND I CAN'T BUY A HOUSE!!!!

Hmmm - seems Australia is as restrictive to "Tourists" or in same cases more so, and in same cases less than Thailand, but RETRICTIONS EXIST.

Something Fugjism you fail to undestand. But don;t get personal because I really like Italy too!

<<The one blindly defending Thailand>>

Sorry - I am also pro home ownership in Thailand, but I can;t change the laws so I'm just reorting here they are similar to restrictions elsewhere - again, thanks for the proof!

<and blindly criticizing his homecountry's laws with, ADMITTEDLY, NO IDEA about what they are, is YOU.>>

True - again, thank you for proving my point, I am lazy!

<<Firstly, the subject of this thread is ownership of land and anyone from tourists to permanent residents can own land in Australia while no one from tourists to permanent residents can own land in Thailand.>>

No it's not, its Foriegners not being able to buy land - rather simple and all encompassing, no breaking into sub groups ok!

<<Secondly, in which areas of house ownership is OZ worse than Thailand?>>

The part where they can;t buy a old unit unless they spend 50% more doing it up would seem a lot worse than Thailand!

<<Anyone from tourists to permanent residents can own a house in Australia while no one from tourists to permanent residents can own a house in Thailand >>

Correct, as long as it's their residence, no renting it now!

<<No Nervous_Dog, the biggest and most serious complaint, which touches the area of the basic human rights, is from the guys with a Thai family/spouse who would want to buy AND OWN the house their family live in. >>

Correct, as I pointed out to Cent, he and I are lucky, what about the single guy who wants to have a farm somewhere in Narkon Nowehere and can;t even do a dodgy get the wife to buy it deal? Hmmm . .. . methunks I already said that one lovie!

<<Let's see your case: living in Thailand, holding a Thai work permit, working in Thailand, paying taxes in Thailand, married to a Thai citizen, father of Thai citizens. Do you have permanent residency Nervous_Dog? >>

I can have it next year if I want it, not sure I do, I'm thinking of moing to Italy, somewhere near Rimini perhaps!

You really do like Australia, thinking of living there?

<<And in fact in Australia ANYONE can own land and a house.

In Thailand NO ONE can own land and a house. >>

Err . . that sounds so badly written it's almost like I wrote so I'll leave it in as a piece of nostalgia, I mean, it contradicts everything we've both written

<<Don't worry, I am from Italy where even those OZ minor restrictions which bother you so much (sour grapes) don't apply.>>

Why the sour grapes? your have had wine from Beaudeset I see? Awefull stuff,

<<The rest of the Western Europe, the North America and even your NZ neighbours are practically the same.>>

Are they? I can buy land in Leichtenstien can I?

<<Ciao bello. >>

Thank you, all the girls say that! handsome Man!

<<FIGJAM (ex board member "pao") >>

Does anyone care?

DOG

FIGJAM said:
Man at Work said:

I would not go that far, but why do we have a fight in every single thread you participate in???

It may be because I have strong opinions and even stronger arguments to support them and don't usually let it go when I am being feeded groundless, disinformed, ignorant crap.

Well, I do know a lot people with strong arguments, who do not start a fight in every discussion.

And yes, this was my first contribution, as I do not have enough knowledge about the subject to activly participate. And If that is the case, I rather shut up.

But I followed it with interest from day one on.

MwA

Man at Work said:
FIGJAM said:

Well, I do know a lot people with strong arguments, who do not start a fight in every discussion.

They must like "being feeded groundless, disinformed, ignorant crap" then...

...or they simply have better interlocutors.

And yes, this was my first contribution, as I do not have enough knowledge about the subject to activly participate. And If that is the case, I rather shut up.

So you feel you have enough knowledge on me instead?

But I followed it with interest from day one on.

Enjoy the show.

Archived