Spassos

port

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LivestockLover said:Please explain the function of the 3 word phrase "that being said", compared with just starting your sentence with "I sometimes...." or maybe "but i sometimes"."

My take is that the poster was making it clear that, despite his primary observation, he was emphasizing an exception. That exception, IMO, is not as fully/conveniently evident in the two alternatives which you suggested. (In fact, the usage of the conjunction "but" at the start of the sentence may be considered poor grammar in the context you provide.)

BTW, please explain why you did not hypenate "3 word" ::

HH

Hugh_Hoy said:
LivestockLover said:Please explain the function of the 3 word phrase "that being said", compared with just starting your sentence with "I sometimes...." or maybe "but i sometimes"."

My take is that the poster was making it clear that, despite his primary observation, he was emphasizing an exception. That exception, IMO, is not as fully/conveniently evident in the two alternatives which you suggested. (In fact, the usage of the conjunction "but" at the start of the sentence may be considered poor grammar in the context you provide.)

BTW, please explain why you did not hypenate "3 word" ::

Not to mention the odd usage of punctuation. To wit: using four periods instead of three to indicate the trailing off of a thought; and placing the period outside of the quotation marks in the last proffered example. Oh, and I see a poor comma hanging in space, excluded from its rightful place inside the quote. For shame! :clown:

And I'm not even an English teacher, just an "illiterate" engineer!

Not dogging you, LL, just pointing out the "black, pot, kettle" thang.

On the original subject, the usage of "that being said" is padding. A concise writer doesn't pad his writing with useless stuff like this, especially when it's graceless and in the passive voice. However, it is still technically correct, so if one wants that style there is nothing to stop one from using padding. One needs to know how to break style rules to keep his audience entertained.

Cheers,

SD

Stickman said:

But often appears at the start of a sentence which has certain conditional structures (also known as ?if clauses?).

An example: But it you were to take the other route, it would be more scenic.

I understand what you're saying here, but your example (to me) is a bit different. In the context of Dragon's remarks, he was not using it as a "conditional structure." He was "qualifying" his previous comment. "But" is used to indicate an opposite or conflicting idea. I remain firm in my belief that Dragon's usage was acceptable and preferable to the others suggested. (I'm sure we don't have to discuss "that being said" vs. "that having been said" :) We are in the nightlife section :)

HH

Hugh_Hoy said:
Stickman said:

But often appears at the start of a sentence which has certain conditional structures (also known as ?if clauses?).

An example: But it you were to take the other route, it would be more scenic.

I understand what you're saying here, but your example (to me) is a bit different. In the context of Dragon's remarks, he was not using it as a "conditional structure." He was "qualifying" his previous comment. "But" is used to indicate an opposite or conflicting idea. I remain firm in my belief that Dragon's usage was acceptable and preferable to the others suggested. (I'm sure we don't have to discuss "that being said" vs. "that having been said" :) We are in the nightlife section :)

HH

That's how i read it and in that context the english is fine. Hey i didn't graduate from Oxford with 1st class honors in English...but i remain convinced there is nothing wrong with the way he wrote it.

Yep, we are in the nightlife section, which was really the point behind my first post :)

Thanks for your grammatical corrections

(Never thought I would improve my English in the nightlife section)

::

Anyway, the (famous?) "that being said" is a transliteration from my native language and could be compared to although or though.

Is my English totally correct and am I fluent?

No, not at all.

Spassos - Rivas and other hotel clubs:

Good points

- You can sometimes find a young gem, well educated with a good English level, who does not necessarly want to be seen in a gogo bar but still wants to make extra bucks.

- The relax atmosphere and some good drinks.

- No, "handsum mand" "you pay me drink" etc...

Bad points

- The prices, the prices, the prices for both the ladies fees and the drinks prices.

- The quality of the ladies on display depending on the' day and time you go there.

Finally, I partly disagree with the people saying that you can find there the same girls as in the gogo but with a better presentation. (read: makeup-clothes)

To sum it up: Same same but different from the gogo-beer bars etc.... and you can still be lucky, as everything in life.

I will be glad to offer a drink there to every English grammar expert from this post in May just to prove my English sucks.

::

As it stands, I think LiveStockLover's query simply indicates nothing more than a dislike of meaningless "filler" words or phrases that add nothing to the meaning of what is being said.

Basically, your English was fine. In fact, I would go as far to venture that it's perfectly good.

Oh, I can't keep this up! But he's fuming now!:: This kind of thing

Archived