New server

khunsanuk

Hi,

Last night Jigger has moved the entire site to a new (faster!) server to cope with speed problems as well as an issue with hackers.

Jigger:

"The server that was running the site was becoming increasingly unreliable (and may have become totally 'own3d' by a Brazilian hacker). So I have shut it down and moved everything to the new server. I had been hoping that we could instead only set up the new board on that server- but necessity forced my hand.

The bad news is things will be a little scratchy until we can get everything ironed out. The good news is that this is a much more powerful server (dual P4-Xeon w/ 4Gb main mem running FreeBSD 5.3 for those who care), so things should be faster ;-)

Do let me or KS know if you find any issues...."

Our intention was to move to the new software at the same time, but we are experiencing serious problems with the import of the current database. At present if we would move we would lose *all* data, which Jigger and I do not consider an option.

It looks like we may need to upgrade this board to the latest version first - which is a pain as this will cost us $125 to get a new licence we will only use for a day - before importing it into the new software. Alternatively we can wait for version 1.1 of the new software, which has an official importer, but we do not know when this will be released.

Some positive news in all of this though.

We are now on a faster server and the design of the new board is pretty much done. Those who have seen it all agree that it looks cleaner / fresher and as far as I know they are all happy with the new software.

I really hope we can move to FusionBB soon, but unfortunately we cannot give you a timeframe. Please bear with us though as I am certain it will be worth the wait.

Sanuk!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Both the test board and this new board are running on the same server. I have noticed though that lately the Internet in Thailand seems to be extremely crap. Could this have anything to do with the severe censoring? After all it takes time to check.

Sanuk!

Archived