Does your wife cook?

limbo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most expats aquire a few cooking skills as a means of survival here, I mean some times we just have to have an injection of stodge. My wife lived in Europe for 5-6 years and does good German meatballs with fried potatos though, and on the Thai side, great tom yam goom. Her pork mince spaghetti is fine too. The Thai food seems to be a bit heavy handed on the greens up here though.

Mrs Tiger has turned out to be a great cook. This is funny since ma-in-law asked me, when the future Mrs & I got engaged, "Why do you want her? She cannot do anything! Always had sisters, maids, cooks & drivers do it for her!" Mrs Tiger was a spoilt last child of the family, 12 years younger than her next sibling.

My favourites are Panang curry with pork, some soup dish that has baby squid stuffed with a spiced minced pork, and moo nahm tok, which is similar to larb, but uses slices of meat versus mince.

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

"It is just that basically she whips up the same stuff she used to eat in the mu baan.

Main ingrediens seem to be pla rah and chilies along with unccoked veggies."

Yep, that is kinda what my misses makes as well; the kids are used to this though (grew up up-country), but I am not.

She's a decent cook, but her real passion is baking. She loves making cakes (cheesecake, brownies, etc).

Sanuk!

My wife too has turned out to be pretty good in the kitchen. She makes a lot of pork and vegetables type dishes, lots of stuff with eggs and various veggies muu-baan style, even things like bitter melon soup. Occasionally she makes grapao muu or green curry. Fortunately there's an ample supply of Asian groceries around here and so she can get all the authentic ingredients she needs for these kinds of foods.

She's also learned how to prepare various American favorites and often she'll make me one thing and herself something else. (Though not always: a couple years back I knew she had truly 'arrived' as a US resident when I came home and caught her eating a bowl of Campbell's Sirloin Burger soup.) The best part of all is that she's put on less than 5 pounds after several years of living here and eating like this. (Phew!)

WELL, "MY wife" cooks really well Thai, Indian and western foods. I love 'her' vegan dim sums, green and Penang curry, Som Tam en a very tasty 100% veggie Laab which does taste original...

Thanks Limbo for including me in the Thread's question. I guess I have an appeltje met jou te schillen next time in LOS!

Archived