Any US Embassy personal here?

khunsanuk

a friend needed this service from the cnd embassy.

He had to swear it was true and leave the diploma at the embassy. They said they would contact the university to make sure it was legit.

Cost was 1500b.

Embassies need to do this to protect thier educational systems from Ko San road copies

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't see what the Embassy could do except verify that the university/college really did exist once upon a time.

Back in the 1980s there was a big fire at the University of Oklahoma (I think) that destroyed most of the academic records. Suddenly anyone who had ever set foot on the place was claiming to have a degree from there, mostly graduate degrees. Even the university could no longer say for sure who had or had not received a degree from them!

This question got my attention as I wil be needing notary service soon. I e-mailed acsbkk@state.gov this morning and almost fell off my chair when I noticed a reply from a gov. entity so fast. here is their reply;

Dear Sir,

I am curious to learn where you heard that we do not provide notarial services any more. We handle between 30 and 50 requests for notarial services a day, and there are no plans to cease providing this service. You can get documents notarized at the American Citizen Services Unit, which is open to the public on Monday to Friday, from 0730 to 1100 hours, and again from 1300 to 1400 hours. We are closed to the public on all American federal holidays and most Thai national holidays, as well as on the last Friday of every month. Notarial services cost $30 for the first consular seal, and $20 for each additional required seal.

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services

Hope this helps, patxpat.

The purpose of a notary is not to provide verification of the authenticity of a document, it's to act as a witness to the act of somone affixing their signature to a document. If a notary suspects fraud then he may refuse to serve a client but in a general sense there is no implication that a notary seal means that the facts of the document have been verified.

Given that, I find it hard to believe that ACS would notarize certain kinds of documents but not others. (Not impossible to believe, just hard.)

Archived