WORLD CUP TALK.

sayjann

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Munchmaster said:

Apparently quite a few of the Swiss players come from the canton of Zug.

not correct, but can i send you a Zuger Kirsh Cake? :p:drunk:

We are happy with the point, that is what we hoped to get.

SWITZERLAND Jooodelioouuhhh! :beer::yay::beer::yay::chili:

It was not our best game, but the adversary was the 'Grande Nation'. So it's a winning point - but we can play better.

I't looks good for us, we can just beat us ourself from now on.

Bada said:

Now , the game of footy ( soccer ) contradicts everything we were raised on , it tells you to retreat , play backwards , makes no sence to us yanks , but it's ok , we can accept the world loving it.

But , it is just not for us...

10 years ago, I would have said the same thing for the majority of Anglo-Celtic kiddies in Oz, but the roundball game has really taken off. I think one of the big attractions for parents is that its *perceived* as a much safer option than any code of Thugby (yeah, I know - 'non-contact' is a relative term ..) : my GF's daughter loves it, even though she is unlikely to go on to anything beyond her school team. For every Harry Kewell, there will be thousands of young kids who will never progress beyond running around dusty grounds from Hobart to Broome, but its that nursery which ultimately sustains any sport.

The point has been made many times that you rarely discover the next football superstar in a 'nice' neighbourhood (that would be Rugby or Lacrosse), and teams like Brazil have star players that came from absolute squalor. The US team might not be much now, but its all about raising the profile of the sport and inflaming the imagination of those kids in Atlanta and Detroit. S-O-C-C-E-R in the USA, S-O-C-C-E-R in the USA er, back to your normal programming ::

Cheers,

Artie

was it the Korea/Togo Game where the Gemans fucked up and played the Korean Anthem twice?.

very unusual for the Germans to make a mess of things........normally very efficent.

but a bit of good and bad news for me.

i was due to be starting work on Thurday during the times of the Games and would have missed all the Games for a Week.

but due to a cancelation i have been scheduled in for an eye operation on Thursday morning and will be off work for a Week.

let's just hope i can see the bloody Telly.................

Ok Brazil. It wasn't so much Ronaldo but Adriano as well. Ronaldo and Adriano are just too similar. The Brazilian pundits said that if Adriano had been removed and Robinho came in his place, you would've seen the same type of surging play out of them. Just look at Argentina. They benched Tevez because he was similar to Crespo. They put on a pacey forward in Saviola and their entire style changed. Same thing here. I still think Ronaldo is Brazil's guy. He just needs to get into his groove, unfortunately.

Mexico : They played an amateur defensive team and EVERYONE knew that. Their midfield did zero to take of advantage of that. Their next 3 games are pretty much preparation for Arg/Holland. They better shape that offense up soon. If they think they're gonna get gift goals and easy setup pieces then adios amigos. Mexico looked better when Borgetti went out (I've never been a fan of his).

Well, we knew that France was going to disappoint. Vieira was at his peak 4 years ago, Zidane 8 years ago, and Henry remains a ghost of his premiership self. Most engaging player the French have is Ribery, who lived up to his pre-WC hype, and yet, when he had the best chance of the game, he made an awful pass to an unsuspecting Henry.

Archived