WORLD CUP TALK.

sayjann

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!!!

3-1, what a score line against a soccer crazy country of more than 125 million people. Not only is Australia?s population around 20 million but three quarters of the country would turn the TV off and talk to their wives if there was only soccer to watch.

I speak here as someone who watched his first soccer (OK, OK, I?ll call it football if you want) game in years this week, Germany against one of the Rica?s, so if there are technical flaws here I beg forgiveness. Actually I pride myself in having a basic understanding of the offside rule, (no passing to anyone between the last opposition player and the goalkeeper?) which probably sets me apart from many of the round ball game non-supporters.

What makes the win even more surprising is that nationally soccer is in disarray; it is more factionalised than a Northern Ireland peace meeting with about as much cooperation and brotherly love. The clubs are basically divided between Greek, Italian and Croatian ethnic groups. All hate the others with a passion, and there is even a Serbian contingent to give the Croatians someone else to hate besides the Greeks and Italians. A few years ago a major riot erupted at a national league game when a player in a ?Serbian? team made a Serbian nationalist sign to the Croatian home crowd. After the carnage one of the Croatian supporters, a second generation Australian literally weeping with rage, told a TV reporter, ?He insulted my country, he insulted my country?

I watched underage players of Croatian origin being interviewed on TV last week, pre teenagers- third generation Australians for Christ?s sake, with most of them saying that they would support Croatia when Australia played them. The Croatian team apparently contains three players born and developed in Australia, to take things to a higher level of obtuseness.

There was a surge of interest in the round ball game a few World Cups ago when Australia had to play Iran at home to qualify for the finals, 3-0 up at half time they blew it. The world famous English coach (El Tel?) blamed the players, the players blamed him, the country blamed them all and switched the channel back to Aussie Rules and League.

Soccer is a great game for kid?s, mothers like their children playing it, little Jimmy is less likely to get kicked in the mouth picking the ball up, and girls can play it too. The opportunities are here now for the game to go ahead, millions of Australians play or support a game that is played nowhere else in the world, hundreds of highly paid professional athletes will never have the opportunity to play for their country at their chosen sport. I discount the Irish tests as heresy and an abomination. Put half the revenue from the other two football codes into soccer and Australia would be a serious world player overnight.

So here we go, Brazil, our name is tattooed on your arse.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Sayjann, you're right of course, one of the great things about Australia is the ethnic mix that generally gets along very well with each other, it just annoys me that some of them pass the old national loyalties and hatreds down through the generations.

forgetting the Aussies i now feel sorry for the Czech's.

the USA have been humilated in a Sports event and that won't have gone down well in Washington.

Rumsfeld will be canvassing Dubya to forget Iran and include the Czech's in the axis of evil...........

invasion will be on the cards next Week as the hawks will not want to be seen to be less than a superpower in the Game of Football.

i imagine the Yanks will try and change the Name of the Competition from the World Cup to 'any other Nation but us Cup'.

they like the title 'World' in their Sports.

but can they handle it when something out of their control shows their frailities?..............

sayjann said:

forgetting the Aussies i now feel sorry for the Czech's.

the USA have been humilated in a Sports event and that won't have gone down well in Washington.

Rumsfeld will be canvassing Dubya to forget Iran and include the Czech's in the axis of evil...........

invasion will be on the cards next Week as the hawks will not want to be seen to be less than a superpower in the Game of Football.

i imagine the Yanks will try and change the Name of the Competition from the World Cup to 'any other Nation but us Cup'.

they like the title 'World' in their Sports.

but can they handle it when something out of their control shows their frailities?..............

Good try brother Sayjann , you can trick the footy's , but here in Yank land , no one care's , really , the spanish channels carry the games , we dont get them in english.... ::

Now I can see why the USA team sucks , we would have been better off sending our chicks over there to play.. :rotfl: Trust us , GWB doesn't even know the WC is happening. I can now see why some countries are happy just for a tie , for the US , we don't need to be there , it ain't our sport.

Bada :beer: Bing

BadaBing said:

Now I can see why the USA team sucks , we would have been better off sending our chicks over there to play.. :rotfl: Trust us , GWB doesn't even know the WC is happening. I can now see why some countries are happy just for a tie , for the US , we don't need to be there , it ain't our sport.

Except that if a miracle did happen and the USA got to the final or god forbid actually won it, then it would suddenly become your no 1 sport.

I don't know why you dont give up that shite ponsy rugby immitation of a sport you call American Football and that stupid mind numbing tedious baseball shite that you have and concentrate on a sport where you can enjoy worldwide competition.

But then again you couldn't cope with losing all the time so probably better to stick with the ones that only you actually play thus ensuring world domination. ::

C'mon Teddy , how can you expect us to excel in a sport that isn't played here ? You gotta understand , America is an agressive country , business , stock markets , nascar , try driving the freeways in Los Angeles.. ::

It's always forward-forward-forward , there is no retreat. It is not the way we were raised.

Now , the game of footy ( soccer ) contradicts everything we were raised on , it tells you to retreat , play backwards , makes no sence to us yanks , but it's ok , we can accept the world loving it.

But , it is just not for us... :shakehead

teddy said: I thought he was shit, I reckon the Czech coach agreed, that's why he dragged him off before the end.

Scored two great goals and hit the crossbar from 25 yards.

This mornings headline "Rosicky shows true class to put US in Czech-mate".

Also from the report "No-one in the capacity crowd could have failed to be impressed and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is no doubt glad he got in ahead of the pack to sign Rosicky from Borussia Dortmund before the world cup began".

Archived