'25' legal age urged

limbo

Contorversial is an understatement. Who's loosing his head over this???

'25' legal age urged

The Nation 21/06/06

People less than 25 years old should not be allowed to buy alcohol, a public hearing was told yesterday.

The hearing, the last of a series held nationwide, was organised so the public could have input into the proposed alcohol consumption and control law.

The bill in its current form bans alcohol sales to anyone less than 21 years old, but the hearing recommended raising the legal age to 25.

Participants in the hearing, numbering about 300, argued that people between 21 and 25 years old were still too young to drink, because many were still studying.

Yesterday's hearing also slammed tax-free alcohol sales at duty-free shops, saying the irony was that Thailand imposed a 400-per-cent tax on alcohol sales domestically, yet allowed tax-free alcohol sales from duty-free shops.

The new law, bound to be controversial, recommends a total ban on alcohol advertising in a bid to control the Kingdom's spiralling rate of alcohol consumption.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One has to wonder if the legal age to buy alcohol is 25, then next question is would 24 year olds be allowed to enter nightlife places? Next question is does that essentially raise BG minimum age to 25? Because based on past observation, raise one and you have to raise them all. As ridiculous as the proposal sounds, I could see it happening. Remember when the closing time rules came into play. People didn't believe they would, and when they did, people believed it would be short lived and blow over. Earlier closing times have come to stay, so could ratcheting BG's to 25+. Scary. That's almost past the shelf life of many.

Earlier closing times have come to stay, so could ratcheting BG's to 25+. Scary. That's almost past the shelf life of many."

That's a mild way to put it... the 20 age limit already killed a lot of the thai nightlife... it still fun out there but I sure fuck a lot of ugly overaged girls with a worn out body...

Used to pick up girls from 17 to 20 in BKK which usually have a tighter body and fresher traits but nowadays mostly enjoy them in other countries. Too bad.. they suited just fine in my BKK's schedule...

Over 25... ain't there anti gerontophile laws out there??

Flashermac said:

[color:"red"]"The logical direction this is heading will be to ban dancers and hostesses under 25 from working in bars and nightclubs."

[color:"black"] My 2 satang worth is it is heading to ZERO SANUK.

When that young farang nurse recently got shot in a bar, I bet that has fueled this debate.

Archived