Klong Travel

zob65

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thalenoi said:
Old Hippie said:

Isn't there a stop behind Phanthip?

No, as mentionned before, It's opposite Amari Watergate hotel under the bridge, a 5 min walk to Pantip.

That would be the closest stop. FYI, if you are coming from the Bang Na side of the klong, you must change boats at this point (walk over the bridge and get on a boat there) to carry on towards the Chao Phya.

Here is a map I have. No scanner, so it is a photo pieced together. Sorry. But the large one is quite legible.

klongsansap_sm.jpg

The larger (300kB -- 3000 pixels wide) version is here.

Note that this map stops at Prakanong (Suk soi 71), but the boat goes all the way out to past Srinakarin, I think. Also note that on this map the side of the klong that has the stop name is the side at which the boat stops. There are a few cross klong boats -- one between Suk soi 39 and Thonglor for sure, dunno about others -- but not many. Plan accordingly.

Enjoy,

SD

Old Hippie said:

Where to get the bus and klong map? in English/Thai...?

The map is sold where guide books would be. It's written in English with small Thai writing, over street names, in case you need to help from a native Thai person.

There's a news stand, ground floor, in the new Nana Shopping Mall located on the corner of Suk & Nana Nua. They have said maps there.

The current edition has skytrain, subway, river boats, all manner of bus info and other points of interest. Good investment.

The canal boat in question isn't a long tail job, but a sturdy vessel that kind of looks like a PT boat, when it's coming at you and holds about 60 people. It won't tip over.

Cruising in this boat is like riding in a tunnel or a dark ride in an amusement park, with the roof and aforementioned side panels. Like the ride called the Caterpillar. So, it's hard to see where you are, especially at low tide, when the water and boat are low. Sometimes all you can see is the retaining walls alongside the canal.

There's a standing room area which is good for looking for landmarks. I don't think any of the piers have signage. Sometimes the pier is on the

left, sometimes right.

But everytime I've been on one of these crafts there's always a Falang or two on board. So, how hard can it be? If you miss your stop, you'll only lose 6 Bt or so to get a boat back. Eventually, you get familiar with the route.

Suadam, that map is great!

I chuckled after reading [color:"red"]"but the boat goes all the way out to past Srinakarin, I think."[color:"black"]

I went all the way to the end once. Was amazed at how much distance they cover by water in such a short time. I thought I knew where I was; I was wrong. Still do not know where I was. It cost me almost 200 baht to get back where I wanted to be.

Thanks I shall seek out the map and embark on a tour. The Asoke stop looks like the one for me. Get off and just catch a M/C taxi down to cowboy, 33 or 22 area.

I think I will taxi home though! i can image going to sleep after a few sherbets and been woken up at the end of the line!

I would assume that the boats stop after dark.

Archived