06/07 SEASON FOOTBALL THREAD

sayjann

Is the plan to have a couple of ageing forwards looking to finish their careers in the nice relaxing backwater of football that is the Bundesliga pass on their experience to a younger though decidedly average striker in the hope of making him better?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going back a while but i have to ask wether CS's comments about Pompey's budget was accurate.

he assured us that he had the info from an Arsenal Forum........and Arsenal Forums are experts on little old Pompey?.

Pompey might buy the Benfica Player and Anelka but for around £20 Million.

i don't see Pompey with probably the 2nd biggest transfer kitty in the World after Chelsea bidding for any of the Italians Teams Players.

with that sort of Money they could offer silly Money for several Players but it's obvious why they have not.

and both reasons which i stated earlier.

1--they do not have that budget.

2--which of the Players in Italy rumoured to be up for sale come to a crappy Team like Pompey?

and once again avoids my question.

would he swap Ronaldo for Fabregas.........

Sayjann,

and once again avoids my question.

would he swap Ronaldo for Fabregas.........

Two completely different players Sayjann...totally dependent on the current players to one's disposal.

Man U are thin on skilled wingers (and Giggs is aging quickly) so IMO you'd be foolish to swap him for Fabregas.

Arsenal on the other hand would probably welcome a winger of the such class with an old Pires (is he still there) and Ljungberg and out of form Reyes.

In any case, it would depend on the squad NOT their head-to-head stats. So it's irrelevent.

i was only asking CS a question.

i must admit that my mind is fogged at the moment and i can't remember wether his comment was about Fabrigas or Reyes.

i cannot be bothered to go through 120 + pages of the WC Thread to see exactly what he said.

but the upshot of his comments were about Wenger.

he said Ronaldo would be a great loss to MU and that he is very similar to Fabregas/Reyes when they first arrived at Arsenal.

very selfish and not Team-minded.

but Wenger worked with whichever one it was and molded them into a Team-Player.

i was asking him wether he would swap the Players so that Wenger could work his magic and make Ronaldo a better Player as he obviously thinks SAF cannot do the job.

I think he mentioned Fabregas but I do not recall reading anything about molding selfish players into teamplayers. I could be wrong.

If he did say such thing I'd disagree with Fabregas being selfish. Or at least in no way a worthy comparison to Ronaldo who was extremely egoistic.

I actually think Ferguson is doing a very good job with this particular player :up: and I'm glad there are no speculations anymore about him leaving Man U.

Mark my words Sayjann..you're going to LOVE ROnaldo someday :beer:

Finally got on this site. Couldn't for a while. Anyway, as I recall (and I have to atribute my lack of recollection to age) I said that Fabregas dribbled too much when he first arrived at Arsenal. He was still in the reserves and was not with the first team, Wenger coached it out of him by having him only make one touch passes for entire training sessions.

As to whether or not I'd trade Fabregas for Ronaldo, the answer was partially answered by another. The answer is no. Not because I think Ronaldo isn't good but we have enough wingers (Reyes, Hleb, Ljundberg, Rosicky) and are not in need of one. We need a defensive center mid and a central defender. If we needed one, I would take him, even if he was stained by manc stench (which a good bath would help...hahaha). My point about Fabregas was that I think its possible for Ronaldo to be coached out of his need to dribble too much and work for the better of the team.

As to Pompey, all supporter sites pull stories from the media. Its simple and easy to do. To suggest that Arsenal forums would make up a story to fool its own members is rediculous. If its false its the actual newspaper or online medium that reported it falsely. The story was copied and pasted from existing online media sources just like we do here on this site all day long. The report said the guy was investing 200 million. It didn't say he was going to spend it all on this summer's transfer. Roman hasn't even spent 200 million in a summer. If 25 million is the amount he put aside for it, it suggests that the 200 mil figure is probably closer to the truth.

On another matter which I was accused of in the old forum and that is lying. I dont' make up stories and report it on the forum as fact. I have made jokes which were regarded by some as facts (such as Gill warming up CL balls for the seedings) and were taken as fact and I thought anyone could see that type of joking as a joke but I have said that was a joke. Nonetheless, I read a considerable amount of footie news and will concede that my powers of recollection may not be as good as others but I've NEVER made up stories and I will leave that opinion of my character to those that know me over the years on this site. When I said that Ferguson has called Jewell (Carling cup semi in '06, radio interview I think with BBC but again my memory is wanting) and Allardyce (league match at Bolton 2-2 result in '03) before a match with us, I recalled what I read. I stand by it unequivocally. I did a google search and could not locate it. I've talked to a Man Utd supporting friend in London and he recalled it as well because he and I discussed it but that isn't proof, even if he were to post, which he was willing to do on this forum. Not being able to google it doesn't necessarily means it isn't true but just that I couldnt' find it.

Okay, now that the serious stuff is over, today was the Bergkamp testimonial and I'm pissed off we didn't get it in the states. Its shown on replay Monday. I've not seen Cantona live, only clips of matches, so from my limited view Bergkamp was the best foreigner until Theirry Henry graced the isles. From what I've seen Cantona from replays of matches (even when he was at Leeds in a charity shield against Man Yoo) he was great as well. I think Henry will end up as the greatest of them all. His record won't be appreciated till later on. Not too many people can lead the league in goals and assists as he's done on at least one occasion that I think of. I think (not sure) he eve broke the assist record that season. The man practically owns the golden boot award.

Zaad, so Arsenal old boy O'Dreary...er..I mean 'O Liar..er..I mean O'Leary is gone, do you want Curbishley? I'd take Hendrie off your hands if you wish and give you Sol, what about it?

With the big Italian sides out of the CL, this is the season for any serious contenders to focus on the competition. One usually has to go through either Milan or Juve to get to win the thing at some stage, although I think Inter will be formidable (they just picked up Vieira). They have Adriano and I think Veron is still there.

Archived